Will not start when warmed up.

PLACE ANY ISSUES RELATED TO YOUR VAN NOT STARTING OR STARTING HARD IN HERE.

Topic author
wlsnoops
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Will not start when warmed up.

Post by wlsnoops »

1993 Chevy Astro van - V6

I recently drove my beater van to the store, running fine. Came back out, would not start. Plenty of gas in the tank, cranked just fine, but no start. Left it overnight and went to have it towed the next day. Just for giggles, I thought I would try to start it. Hit the key and it fired right up.

Drove it two miles to my home and parked it in the driveway. Shut it off and tried to restart. No go. Waited a few days and it started. Drove it around the block and it wouldn't start again.

I don't know if this has anything to do with the problem or not, but the oil pressure gauge was going crazy, flittering back and forth. Checked the oil and the level was good, no water mixed in either. The oil needs to be changed, although it had been about six thousand miles since the last oil change.

Someone told me to undo the air cleaner and spray starting fluid back towards the engine. Wouldn't start.

Not sure I want to take it to a shop and dump a lot of money into it because of it's age, but I'm willing to try and fix it myself if I had some idea of where to start.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Re: Will not start when warmed up.

Post by Astrophysics »

Possible issues:

1. Poor electrical ground
2. Loose battery cable
3. Corrosion on battery cable
4. Intermittent starter solenoid.
5. Loose ignition coil wiring

6. Intermittent starter switch
7. Intermittent neutral safety switch, try starting in neutral as well as Park

Get a Digital Multimeter.

Good luck

AP

AstroWill
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: Will not start when warmed up.

Post by AstroWill »

Something electrical is heating up and failing. I would start with testing crank/cam sensors and the ICM.

When the pressure gauge was fluttering, was there misfiring happening, how was the idle?