best aux (dual) battery mounting space

USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY ELECTRICAL QUESTIONS SUCH AS WIRE COLOR CODES, BLOWING FUSES OR WIRING SHORTS.

Topic author
SafariVanatic
I am merely driving my van

best aux (dual) battery mounting space

Post by SafariVanatic »

I have puzzled endlessly over this one. This particular approach I have searched for an answer to extensively as well. I have 2 deep cycle (6v x 220ah) batteries which need to be properly attached somewhere.

I recently picked up an all aluminum hauler rack to use for various items thus leaving more space inside. I have seen some metal, lockable battery frames which can be welded or bolted on. Is there any reason I should not mount two of these to my hauler rack, one in each front corner maybe?

At first I thought no, too exposed, and in case of an accident could have serious complications associated with this. However, after installing the rack it is clear to me that the aforementioned battery frames could be mounted against the inside face of the front most bar in such a way that the top of the battery would not go above the top of the side rails (I think, or close, need to measure). If they were sturdily attached it would seem they could even endure a roll without being smashed to bits and flinging battery acid everywhere (these are traditional, lead-acid batteries), which was my primary concern with this idea. Is this a sane train of thought?

option b, and likely a safer prospect would be to attach to a rear cargo carrier. I don't want them inside. its too much hassle to vent them out properly and they take up a lot of space.

thanks for your input!
sva

Mmusicman
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: best aux (dual) battery mounting space

Post by Mmusicman »

I was considering putting a deep-cycle battery directly behind the driver seat, encased in vented battery box of course. Simple and easy.

Underneath application is certainly an excellent and probably better option. A hatch through the floor could be installed, as well as other possibilities. More work involved... but nice results.

I once had a full size big-block street/race van... where I put a battery in both rear corners... which was done for weight transfer purposes. The front battery was eliminated. This system worked well for me for well over a decade.

It sounds to me like you are looking for a much more serious installation of large heavy batteries.
-
2000 Chevy Astro LS AWD | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi,

The newer trend in aux house batteries is starting to shift to lithium batteries and roof mounted solar panels. Or you could try sealed AGM batteries to reduce venting needs.

To get good fresh ideas on aux batteries , I have been reading write ups on the Ford Tranit USA forum.

AP

Topic author
SafariVanatic

Post by SafariVanatic »

Mmusicman wrote:I was considering putting a deep-cycle battery directly behind the driver seat, encased in vented battery box of course. Simple and easy.

Underneath application is certainly an excellent and probably better option. A hatch through the floor could be installed, as well as other possibilities. More work involved... but nice results.

I once had a full size big-block street/race van... where I put a battery in both rear corners... which was done for weight transfer purposes. The front battery was eliminated. This system worked well for me for well over a decade.

It sounds to me like you are looking for a much more serious installation of large heavy batteries.
I have 2 Interstate XHD deep cycle 6v batteries. I have a partition installed behind seats so is not possible to put batteries there. when I installed my hauler rack for the roof it occurred to me that they could be mounted up there, which would shorten the amount of spendy cable I would need, but safety wise I wasn't sure if that was the best idea.

thank you

PS: Rad Astros!!

Topic author
SafariVanatic

Post by SafariVanatic »

Astrophysics wrote:Hi,

The newer trend in aux house batteries is starting to shift to lithium batteries and roof mounted solar panels. Or you could try sealed AGM batteries to reduce venting needs.

To get good fresh ideas on aux batteries , I have been reading write ups on the Ford Tranit USA forum.

AP
yeah, I looked up some of those lithium 200ah cells. they are super expensive, 4 figures! way out of my league currently. I already bought the 2 GC2-XHD lead acid batteries so they are what I plan to work with for now. I made a pretty slick sealed battery box out of a Dewalt Tough System tool box. the batteries fit near perfectly in it. it is a tad unwieldy, weighing in at about 130lbs and takes up much space. Therefore I felt the rear cargo hitch carrier may be best spot, if hauler rack was a bad idea safety wise. if I put them up there I'd switch to 2 separate mountable battery frames.

thank you!

Mmusicman

Post by Mmusicman »

SafariVanatic wrote:when I installed my hauler rack for the roof it occurred to me that they could be mounted up there, which would shorten the amount of spendy cable I would need, but safety wise I wasn't sure if that was the best idea
Personally, I would never dream of putting that much weight up that high. You might find your van all over the road being top heavy. Underneath would be probably be the safest and most practical place... IMO.
Thanks.
-

Topic author
SafariVanatic

Post by SafariVanatic »

Mmusicman wrote:
SafariVanatic wrote:when I installed my hauler rack for the roof it occurred to me that they could be mounted up there, which would shorten the amount of spendy cable I would need, but safety wise I wasn't sure if that was the best idea
Personally, I would never dream of putting that much weight up that high. You might find your van all over the road being top heavy. Underneath would be probably be the safest and most practical place... IMO.
Thanks.
Hey, thanks a lot for your input mMusicman. I had tossed around the idea of underneath the van. It does seem like a sweet spot to place the batteries. And I had same concern with the weight on the roof. summitracing(?) has these sweet drop down battery boxes which looked like a plausible and not too labor intensive solution. my batteries are too tall however to fit them at 10.5". I'm not crazy about making a hatch for access purposes either. I'm 3/4 of the way to completing a wood floor installation in the rear cargo area and don't want to cut up my new bamboo flooring. I'd need to be able to access them occasionally to check the water though. It would be cool to make use of the cable that lowers the spare tire, I don't believe it would work with all that weight unfortunately. would you completely box them in, or just make a brace to support from underneath? Something which could be lowered with a floor jack could work, they don't need to be checked all that often.... I will reconsider the hatch, it would be very cool.

thank you

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi,
Underneath is a good idea. If you get AGM absorbed glass material sealed battery, no water to check.'
You may need to settle for lower amp HR capacity and stay with group size 24,27 or 31. From 31 AGM is 105 amp hire, got mine at west marine. Don't forget to put 250 amp fuse, right at the positive battery post.

AP

WoodButcher
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by WoodButcher »

Why would you use a fuse with such a high rating? Wouldn't a lesser fuse like 30-50 amp be more appropriate? If a wire gets warm you want the fuse to pop before the wire gets hot. For a 250 to blow a #10 wire would be smoking hot and already lit a fire and I'm sure you'll be running #4 for the home runs so they will carry loads of current and the ability to heat up w/o popping the fuse is just that much greater.

250 might protect the battery but what does that matter when your truck is in flames?
'93 Safari shorty, 350 swap
'05 Astro AWD, lifted, 6 liter, cammed, ported and programmed for fast.
'69 G10, straight 6, 3 onatree, jumped at me when I had a pocketful of cash looking for a spare astro. :)

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

The 250 amp fuse at battery allows you to connect 800 w to 1000 watt inverter. You are correct in that all smaller loads need their own appropriate fuses too to protect that wiring too.

AP

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

It is also nice to have 200 amp switch ,big red aux bat SW, in series from aux battery.

There are good wiring diagrams on West Marine web sire.

AP

Mmusicman

Post by Mmusicman »

I ran my rear-mounted batteries with NO fuses... since they were starting batteries too. I had the 1/0 AWG accidentally short out directly to the headers... which melted the lead connection at the battery. No issues otherwise. If you go fuseless, you definitely want a VERY sturdy and safe cable routing. Mine was outside, underneath, with exception of coming up though floor to batteries.

Even if the batteries are secondary spares (for accessories)... I'd certainly would want to be able to start the vehicle from them. But that's just me. You'd have to decide how you want to set up the system. You can parallel them directly, you can use a very heavy duty solenoid to connect them, you can isolate them (charging through isolator), you could use an isolator plus manual switch-controlled solenoid, or you can put a large mechanical battery switch on them.

Many options!

PS: If you do decide on using a source fuse... you may be better off with a very heavy duty circuit breaker.
-