Front end howling like a banshee

THIS FORUM IS FOR ANY QUESTIONS ON THE 7.25" IFS FRONT DIFF, CV HALF SHAFTS AND FRONT DRIVE SHAFT.

Topic author
SteveTR6
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Front end howling like a banshee

Post by SteveTR6 »

Today out of nowhere, the front end of my 2003 AWD started howling like a banshee at about 50 mph. 140,000 miles, I'm the second owner, never a peep out of it until today. In the time I've owned it I've put 30,000 on it, towing, hauling stuff around, going all over the place. Never heard anything unusual, no vibrations, nothing. This morning on the way to work all was quiet and normal. On the way home, hit 50 and HOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! I could also feel a slight buzzing-type of vibration under my left foot, which I always have on the wheelwell. My son later drove it (having been warned), and he reports that he is convinced the diff is dry and about to explode.
My Haynes manual is of no help, since it doesn't even mention the POSSIBILITY of AWD on an Astro let alone address any potential problems or repair/maintenance procedures.
Son thinks it's about to strand me... Any thoughts on this? I've had hubs go on other vehicles, and they usually go gradually and give plenty of minor noises leading up to serious/loud noises. This is nothing like that.
What's wrong with Astro??

Thanks
Steve
2003 Astro LT AWD, dark carmine red, newest family member
2002 Astro LT 2WD, pewter -- gone but not forgotten. head gasket at 209k did it in
1994 Astro CL EXT, traded at 150k for the 2002
2000 Jaguar XJ8L, wife's daily driver
1981 Goldwing, naked, my daily driver 8+ months out of the year
1980 Vespa P200, wife's toy

Mmusicman
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: Front end howling like a banshee

Post by Mmusicman »

Check for fluid!
You'll probably know pretty quickly. Then take it from there.
I'd at least try to ensure the axle bearings are ok first!
Last edited by Mmusicman on Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
-
2000 Chevy Astro LS AWD | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com

Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Post by Captn. Crunch »

hello
here's to hoping it's not too late! Stop driving it! Loud howling noises appearing out of nowhere are inherently bad! The front diff doesn't have a cover. your 03 will have a drain plug and a fill plug. The drain will be on the bottom \:D/
Pull the drain plug and see what comes out. iregardless of what comes out, have a bottle of gear lube and a piece of tubing to re-fill. Kinda hard to get the bottle above the fill hole-hence the tubing. Check your manual for weight and amount. Good luck and let us know what you find.
If you end up having smoked your front diff do not despair. The same diffs were used in post 98 S-10 4x4 pu's and blazers. Also olds Bravada. They're literally millions of them laying about. Match the gear ratio using the RPO sticker. Swap the rt. side axle off of yours if you go with an S-10, they have a 2 piece axle. The bravado runs the same set up we do so no muss no fuss there
Captn. Crunch
"I don't beat my rig-I use it to it's maximum potential"
1994 Safari conversion (sold) and miss'n it!
1999 Safari SLE AWD junked
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT
cast iron Torsen equipped front diff
S-10 leafs-G80 rear w/3.73’s
2” body lift w/Falken Wildpeak AT’s

Stroverlander
I sleep in my van

Post by Stroverlander »

If fluid level is good and looks okay you could try rotating the tires and driving and also removing the front propshaft, check for play in hub bearings, cv joints for torn boots/thrown grease, etc. Try to eyeball your front wheel alignment, if toe gets knocked out or a camber bolt comes loose, a tire can howl pretty loudly as well.
2004 Astro LT AWD Stroverlander