Can the front IFS be narrowed? or is it too costly?

ANYTHING TO DO WITH MAKING YOUR VAN MOVE EXCEPT FOR THE ENGINE ITSELF.

Topic author
ls325ci
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Can the front IFS be narrowed? or is it too costly?

Post by ls325ci »

Looking to turn a hotrod into awd. Unfortunately the track width is only 55"the astro van is over 10" wider.

Is this something that is easily done? or rather costly due to custom cv?

looking to mate an ls1 with 4l80e- adapter - nv149

Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Re: Can the front IFS be narrowed? or is it too costly?

Post by Captn. Crunch »

AWD hot rod-I love it! Ok lots to talk about here. There are some options for the front diff. There are aluminum or cast iron. The cast iron units are sought after by severe off-roaders as they stand up to shock loading due to oversized tires under slip/grip conditions. Some Sy/Ty owners are running high boost engines with stock aluminum diffs so it is possible to have hi hp and aluminum in the same sentence. The aluminum is by far the most readily available as it came in all of the AWD Astro/Safari vans, all Cyclones and Typhoons, all Olds Bravadas, and almost all 4x4 S-10 Blazers and pick ups. The cast iron was found in a specific combo of 4x4 manual transmission np233 transfer case pick up.
First gens up to 97 iirc used bolt on flanged style axles. Slip ins were used exclusively after that. I believe GM went with larger axle bearings in the slip in cases.
You will need custom axles. http://www.rcvperformance.com/?gclid=CP ... swodfFILfw these are nice and they will make you whatever you want. And lifetime warranty iirc.
All 7.2 ifs differentials are open style. There are two aftermarket LSD options if you want to go that way. Jeff at Engineered Performance http://www.engineered.net and MFactory http://store.ycwengineering.com/catalog ... -TRS-05SYC build clutch style or Torsen style carriers respectively for the 7.2.
So the toughest part may be fabbing the mounts for the diff. Everything else from center chuck to the hubs are available with the click of the mouse

Hope this helps
Captn. Crunch
"I don't beat my rig-I use it to it's maximum potential"
1994 Safari conversion (sold) and miss'n it!
1999 Safari SLE AWD junked
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT
cast iron Torsen equipped front diff
S-10 leafs-G80 rear w/3.73’s
2” body lift w/Falken Wildpeak AT’s

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

An interesting idea.

A local guy here has an 4WD rat rod. Although his is based on a Chevy LUV frame and front end, it really piqued my curiosity when I saw it. We actually talked for quite awhile and I was giving him info on the Astro/Safari AWD T-case because he was wanting AWD vs 4WD.

A couple of thoughts. You could maybe minimize the overall width by going to a wheel with a positive offset.

I'm not sure what the overall front axle width of the Astro/Safari is, so you could maybe tackle a couple of different ways. Custom outer axle shafts would be easiest (since someone else does the work), but shorting each side 5" is a lot and going to work the C/Vs harder if you have much suspension travel. It would certainly be better, if possible, to cut down the long side of the removeable axle tube and then use a cut down axle as well. This would require more custom fab work and I'm not sure you can pull 10" out this way. But it would sure be sweet to be able to use factory outer axle shafts if you ever needed to replace them down the road.
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Post by Captn. Crunch »

mdmead wrote:An interesting idea.

It would certainly be better, if possible, to cut down the long side of the removeable axle tube and then use a cut down axle as well. This would require more custom fab work and I'm not sure you can pull 10" out this way. But it would sure be sweet to be able to use factory outer axle shafts if you ever needed to replace them down the road.
Good point mdmead.
Captn. Crunch
"I don't beat my rig-I use it to it's maximum potential"
1994 Safari conversion (sold) and miss'n it!
1999 Safari SLE AWD junked
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT
cast iron Torsen equipped front diff
S-10 leafs-G80 rear w/3.73’s
2” body lift w/Falken Wildpeak AT’s