Considering to replace V6 with V8 in my 2001 Safari AWD

Topic author
Roadstar01
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Considering to replace V6 with V8 in my 2001 Safari AWD

Post by Roadstar01 »

How much modification is re there to install a Small V8 in place of the stock V6 within my 2001 AWD Safari? Will it fit in the engine compartment with little to no fire wall work? Will I need to buy a new computer and such etc?

Thanks in advance!
My 2001 AWD Safari SLT has airlift bags on the rear suspension, transmission cooler, upgraded transmission and electric trailer brake controller. It earns it keep when not doing regular driving.
Pulls the 23 foot deep V Cobalt pleasure
Boat and pulls the car trailer for the
Midsize backhoe.

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Re: Considering to replace V6 with V8 in my 2001 Safari AWD

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi,

I wonder if the 3.8 liter Buick V6 with super charger would fit in Astro. It had 240 hp stock.

But my The 3800 motor was transverse mounted in my 1997 and 2008 Pontiac Grand Prixs.

A,P

WoodButcher
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by WoodButcher »

It's a squeeze but doable. No firewall work but you may need an oil pan unless you do a lift, move the coils if an LS motor, Bunch of variables depending on which way you go.
Read up in the V8 swap section. My '93 was easy as it's 2wd and I stuck w/ the 350 from a full size van and not the LS.
'93 Safari shorty, 350 swap
'05 Astro AWD, lifted, 6 liter, cammed, ported and programmed for fast.
'69 G10, straight 6, 3 onatree, jumped at me when I had a pocketful of cash looking for a spare astro. :)

Mmusicman
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Mmusicman »

Roadstar01 wrote:How much modification is re there to install a Small V8 in place of the stock V6 within my 2001 AWD Safari? Will it fit in the engine compartment with little to no fire wall work? Will I need to buy a new computer and such etc?
If you lift the AWD high enough, then the V8 will fit (as is) with modified lifted mounts.
Without lifting the van and engine, you would need to modify the oil pan to clear the front drive train.

An older carbureted V8 will go in pretty easy, without need for a computer.
(This is only an option in states without emissions regulations)
There is also no work needed to the firewall with the older style engine.
All the front accessories from the V6 will bolt up to the V8.
You would want to use a 700R4 trans with it.
If so, you would also need an 80's style flexplate (dual pattern) that works with V8's & 700R4's.

Easiest way to pull is by cutting top cross member support and removing engine out the front.
Brackets can be easily fabricated to reinstall cross-member support.

If you go carbureted, you'll need to change the fuel pump, or regulate pressure down to usable level.
If you go with a fuel-injected V8 engine... you will need the matching computer.

As suggested... check out the V8 section for lots of info.
There more than one way to skin this cat!
-
2000 Chevy Astro LS AWD | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com

AstroWill
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by AstroWill »

The absolute easiest is to stick to the same year full sized van for the donor. Keeps the same cooling, fueling, transmission, etc. Depending on where you live same year or newer could be the only option.

Like stated above, because of the front differential you will have to work the oil pan. The most common thing to do is to take the 4.3 oil pan, and join it with another one. There may also be aftermarket pans that will fit. I remember reading about one that only required washers under the engine mount to clear but I don't have a link. I don't remember if it was here or the other site, have to search. Something like Milodon 31082, but need to check.

Basically the oil pan has to follow this profile, but longer for the 5.7l engine.
4.3awdvortecalum.jpg
Get/make the engine mounts, add/lengthen some wires, match up the exhaust, good to go.