Rear End Swap

IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ON THE REAR DRIVE SHAFT OR AXLE, IT GOES HERE.

Topic author
dobaroy
I am smitten with my van

Rear End Swap

Post by dobaroy »

The rear end is gone in our '97 Astro (GU5) and we have a 03 Safari AWD rear end, can we swap this into the 97? Thanks

Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Re: Rear End Swap

Post by Captn. Crunch »

It will fit but... your 97 is drum brakes with five studs and the 03 is disk with six. If you're handy maybe you can swap the axles and backing plates with all the drum brake parts. I've never had the two side by side so I can't say 100%. Wish I could b more help
Captn. Crunch
"I don't beat my rig-I use it to it's maximum potential"
1994 Safari conversion (sold) and miss'n it!
1999 Safari SLE AWD junked
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT
cast iron Torsen equipped front diff
S-10 leafs-G80 rear w/3.73’s
2” body lift w/Falken Wildpeak AT’s

Stroverlander
I sleep in my van

Post by Stroverlander »

There are actually quite a few differences that make the swap prohibitive from 5-lug to 6-lug and vise versa.

The 6-lug has different backing plate mounts on the end of the axle, uses larger bearings and axle shafts are different lengths. So basically the backing plates and swap back to 5-lug wouldn't be very easy without some fabrication and if you tried to use the rear disc brake setup then there a lot of differences with brake proportioning, etc.
2004 Astro LT AWD Stroverlander

Topic author
dobaroy
I am smitten with my van

Post by dobaroy »

Thanks for the replies guys, we were just going to swap it in and leave the discs on it, our biggest problem would be the proportioning valve as we couldn't figure out how to work our way around that. Our main concern was, would the shocks, driveshaft and mounts hook up. Thanks again.

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Probably best to go to Pic your part and get rear end from 5 bolt Astro. What axle ratio are you looking for, 3.42 ? Check your existing vVIN to determine what ratio you have in OEM axle.
Also, should be code on rear axle tube that can be decided to get ratio and whether it is G80 limited slip rear end.

AP