concerns about ac/ overheating issue

Radiator, thermostat, water pump, antifreeze, etc.

Topic author
alwaysstuck
I am merely driving my van

concerns about ac/ overheating issue

Post by alwaysstuck »

Hello there ,
I am In the process of trying to get my 2005 astro to pass inspection, as of now, I'm doing all the requirements to knock off some trouble codes.. tune up, filters, 02 sensor etc.. But my question is about the air conditioning. It seems when I turn It on, my truck continues to climb in temperature , .. otherwise it stays about 220 degrees. ( the truck has 138,000 miles)

once the AC is turned on,it always starts to heat up. Now I took a look at the coolant fluid, .. and there is definitely rust issue. (ALOT)

Would a coolant flush help with this ? , and should I add some type of radiator treatment to help with any leaks ?

the previous owner NEVER DID ANY WORK to this truck, and I am now starting to handle all the headaches

There was an electrical issue somewhere in the heating system, and the blower only blows on hi (#4) ( low #1, #2, and #3 don't work).

It sucks working out of a hot truck in nyc, so IM trying to get this fixed before the summer months

any suggestions would be grateful.

thanks
2005 Astro
4.3 2wd (138,000 mi.)
always stuck !

Mmusicman
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: concerns about ac/ overheating issue

Post by Mmusicman »

220 is too high! You should sit around 195.

Is this idling temperature, or cruising? It makes a difference diagnosing the problem, whether it's an airflow issue, or a coolant flow issue.

Is your fan working correctly?
Is the coolant clean?

I'd start with changing the thermostat... I run a 180 in mine, although a 194 is called for.
While changing the thermostat, I'd be doing a complete FLUSH as well.

If problems still persist, you will have to diagnose further.

Radiator may be clogged if coolant is rusty and contaminated.
Water pump may be shot too, but usually less likely.

A/C can cause temps to run a little higher (maybe about 10 degrees), but with good working system it usually isn't much of a factor.
-
2000 Chevy Astro LS AWD | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com

slowalker

Post by slowalker »

Hiya,
Newbie here. When you say you run a "180" thermostat, what do you mean, and is that the thermostat for the engine? Thanks for your patience...LOL!
walkin slow you see more

AstroWill
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by AstroWill »

Yes, that is the thermostat for the engine. Unless you are building a purpose built race van, stick with stock on a daily driver. When you flush your system, you should go ahead and replace the thermostat.

If your system is actively leaking, you should borrow a pressure tester from your LAPS and find/fix the leak.

WoodButcher
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by WoodButcher »

AstroWill wrote:Yes, that is the thermostat for the engine. Unless you are building a purpose built race van, stick with stock on a daily driver. When you flush your system, you should go ahead and replace the thermostat.

If your system is actively leaking, you should borrow a pressure tester from your LAPS and find/fix the leak.

As will said fix the leak, don't use stop leak or any other fix in a can including pepper or a raw egg. While these things work in an emergency like being stuck miles from home they also clog and restrict the system.

MM said it right, 220 is too high. If that is the gauge on the dash check the temp with an IR gun at the thermostat housing or radiator inlet, it should not be getting much over 200 if the thermostat is working properly.
The gauges in our vans are often inaccurate but they are better than idiot lights. If you confirm the temps and they are not 220 but within acceptable range you know the gauge reads high but it can still be used to monitor the temps if you know where it reads. When you see a sudden deviation from it's normal reading something is wrong.
My amp meter reads 11 volts running without any lights or fans on. I checked the battery and alternator outputs and get 14 volts so if while driving I see the meter change suddenly from 11 volt I'll stop and find out why.
'93 Safari shorty, 350 swap
'05 Astro AWD, lifted, 6 liter, cammed, ported and programmed for fast.
'69 G10, straight 6, 3 onatree, jumped at me when I had a pocketful of cash looking for a spare astro. :)