Do I need an external tranny cooler?

Topic author
slowalker
I am merely driving my van

Do I need an external tranny cooler?

Post by slowalker »

I have a 2004 Chev Astro Van. Will be hauling a 3000# tent trailer plus gear and kayaks up the Coquihalla. The tranny does have cooling through the radiator, but do I need an external tranny cooler as well? Appreciate any comments.
walkin slow you see more

Mmusicman
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: Do I need an external tranny cooler?

Post by Mmusicman »

Do you "NEED" an external tranny cooler, pulling a fairly heavy load, up highway mountain roads? Need? I guess that really depends on how long you want your transmission to last!

Winter driving most likely wouldn't be an issue.. but do you plan to drive in the summer too?

The "built-in" cooler in the radiator is probably barely adequate under "normal" conditions, which really doesn't include towing. Mountain roads, even without towing an extra load, can still cause damaging conditions.

Heat destroys transmissions! Under these extra demanding conditions without a trans cooler, the heat can spike up quite quickly. If temps exceed safe limits, the life of your trans may be shortened, but by how much.. who knows?

There is no exact answer, but YES a trans cooler can greatly add to the life of your trans under severe use. They are fairly inexpensive, easy enough to install, and well worth the cost and effort.

Most trucks set up by the factory for towing will come with them.

It's like asking if you "need" to change your oil regularly... only if you want longer life out of your engine. Same applies to the transmission!

Good luck!
-
2000 Chevy Astro LS AWD | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com

Topic author
slowalker

Re: Do I need an external tranny cooler?

Post by slowalker »

Thanks for your input! I came to the conclusion that I do need the external cooler...it just made sense.....even though a local mechanic said "nahhh, you won't need it....." I guess a gal should just trust her first instincts, eh?
walkin slow you see more