Rear Diff oil changed; what I learned and a question.

IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ON THE REAR DRIVE SHAFT OR AXLE, IT GOES HERE.

Topic author
rlyoung
I am smitten with my van

Rear Diff oil changed; what I learned and a question.

Post by rlyoung »

2001 AWD 112,000 miles. Only other rear diff oil change was at 30K.

1. Learned: don't refill too fast at the end or you'll have excess pouring out!
2. Question: With the cover off, there is a large opening on either side where one can peer into what looks like the axle housing on the outer side of the axle bearings. After draining the diff I used compressed air to get crud out of the bolt holes, and some of the air inadvertently went into one of the larger openings. Oil came flying out, as if there was still a significant of old oil in there. I would have thought everything would have drained back to the diff? The refill was about the right amount. That must have been just a small amount of oil hanging around that didn't drain back and is of little consequence?

Procedure:

Note: I found I could simple jack from the tow hitch and use jack stands under the hitch to get the body high enough to work under. I didn't have to raise the whole vehicle. All tires were still on the ground.

1. Remove bolts, except just loosen top one. Pry gasket at bottom and drain oil.
2. Clean surfaces of gasket with gasket scraper, emery cloth and brake cleaner. (plastic razor blades not strong enough.). Clean face (only) of differential similarly.
3. Hang gasket on two headless bolts in differential
4. Mount cover and bolt up to spec.
5. Refill with Amsoil 75w-90 severe gear.

Wiley
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Rear Diff oil changed; what I learned and a question.

Post by Wiley »

rlyoung wrote:2001 AWD 112,000 miles. Only other rear diff oil change was at 30K.
Note: I found I could simple jack from the tow hitch and use jack stands under the hitch to get the body high enough to work under. I didn't have to raise the whole vehicle. All tires were still on the ground.
Well there is your problem right there, get a lift on that bitch, I don't even have to jack it, but I am a little guy :cheers:
2guys1truck.com: 2004 AWD Chevy Astro from California to Colombia!
want to follow along, or think our paths may cross, Facebook kjswiley

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

Wiley wrote:
Well there is your problem right there, get a lift on that bitch, I don't even have to jack it, but I am a little guy :cheers:
I'm definitely not a little guy (at least not around the middle, when lying on my back ), and I LOVE that I can work on just about everything under my van without jacks or stands!
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

Wiley
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Wiley »

Herbie wrote:
Wiley wrote:
I'm definitely not a little guy (at least not around the middle, when lying on my back ), and I LOVE that I can work on just about everything under my van without jacks or stands!
:supz: We'll convert him, it is only a matter of time.
2guys1truck.com: 2004 AWD Chevy Astro from California to Colombia!
want to follow along, or think our paths may cross, Facebook kjswiley