2002 AWD ASTRO TRANSFER CASE CONVERSION ?

ANYTHING TO DO WITH MAKING YOUR VAN MOVE EXCEPT FOR THE ENGINE ITSELF.

Topic author
PatAus
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

2002 AWD ASTRO TRANSFER CASE CONVERSION ?

Post by PatAus »

Hello all..

Im asking for advice here and seeking opinions and first hand knowledge in regards to changing out the Tranfer case to an NP233 S10. High and low range selector.

http://journeysoffroad.com/swaping-in-a ... rcase.html

Has anyone done this conversion ? Is it actually worth the time and money ? How will it affect the vehicles on road wear and tare ?

My van is Automatic transmission.. is there any underlying issue with that in regards to installation ?

Thanks

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: 2002 AWD ASTRO TRANSFER CASE CONVERSION ?

Post by Herbie »

There are several posts in the Transfer case section dealing with this:
http://astrosafarivans.org/bb2/viewforum.php?f=58

I have an NP233 converted to cable-shift. It can be a very simple and inexpensive swap, but best results come from being patient about finding a later-model transfer case so you don't have to deal with the clocking issues. (Some years are rotated downward slightly at the transmission case, so the front driveshaft interferes with the crossmember.)

I've seen the Journey's kit, but don't know if anyone on here has done it yet. That definitely looks like a good way to go if you're not up for DIY solutions.

Regarding reliability - No change. The NP233 is every bit as reliable as any other tcase that GM used. Obviously if you swap in a junkyard t-case of unknown history, you're gambling on the previous owner's maintenance history.
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

AstroWill
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: 2002 AWD ASTRO TRANSFER CASE CONVERSION ?

Post by AstroWill »

Herbie wrote:Regarding reliability - No change. The NP233 is every bit as reliable as any other tcase that GM used. Obviously if you swap in a junkyard t-case of unknown history, you're gambling on the previous owner's maintenance history.
Which, in the case of a transfer case is almost always nil unless there was a problem.