Exo cage?

Topic author
Spdcrazy
I am merely driving my van

Exo cage?

Post by Spdcrazy »

I've googled around. And can't find any pics. Anyone have one? I'm debating on one in the future. Only thing I can't seem to figure out is how to strengthen it in a roll over. Assuming vertical tubes at the A and B pillar, then one at the rear corner. Then one from the A pillar to the front fender with cross bars from side to side. At the bottom and top of the hood. Then course tied all together at the roof. With triangles there of course. I'll triangulate as much as I can but still have full use of all doors. A true cage should have side to side support through the cab at the b pillars. But I'm desiring to do this without putting holes in my van and compromising the interior space. Question is, is it at all worth it without the b pillars support from side to side? This isn't a trophy van or a crawler. But I will be taking this to strange foreign country roads and through the Vans life, it'll only get taller and have bigger and bigger tires.
Attachments
Screenshot_20171018-174133.png

Wiley
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Exo cage?

Post by Wiley »

I say do it, only because as far as I know, it hasn't been done. That said, I do not see the point in this is your van isn't "a crawler". I took mine through Mexico, Central Am, and Colombia, others have taken them further.....unless you go looking for trouble I do not see a scenario where you would need this. IHateMyBike may disagree, I have seen his vids and he pushes his van harder than I do.
2guys1truck.com: 2004 AWD Chevy Astro from California to Colombia!
want to follow along, or think our paths may cross, Facebook kjswiley

Topic author
Spdcrazy

Post by Spdcrazy »

I do seem to push things a bit far at times. From the building to the using. But yes I hear ya, might be a touch extreme.

All this came up when I was trying to figure out how to attach my RTT. And my wife now wants this thing tall enough to stand in if possible. So it'll be getting a custom high top for as much of the roof as I can with leaving space for the RTT. I haven't found a way to build a roof rack that I really like. Then came up with the idea of building a roof rack with legs that came down outside the body and attached at the frame. And then the next step in myind was full exo
cage.

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

Adding sliders that tie up to the ping seam will probably do the most to stiffen things, according to everything I've heard from those who have done it (I haven't yet, but it's on my list).

That said, IG user @shortcakechronicles has done a partial exo cage. An example here:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BYtkbznDtQk/
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

Topic author
Spdcrazy

Post by Spdcrazy »

Yes. That makes sense. I'll check that insta page out. I'm putting my build there as well.

@astrocamper

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi,
I put 2"x2' steel box tube 69" long rock rail/ subframe connector and connected from the rear leaf spring hanger bolt to the front subframe. I used Uni strut plates instead of welding.
The idea is to stiffen the frame to avoid Uni body folding in a t bone side hit or high speed head on collision.
After studying crashes in older vehicles, I some time wear a good quality Bell mountain bike helmet in dangerous roads. Protecting the temple side of head from impact to the door pillar is my main goal. The Bell Super has good coverage and lots of vents.
When you think about it, even auto cross on weekend around pylon course requires full coverage helmet.'
Safety first,
Adventure always.

AP

Topic author
Spdcrazy

Post by Spdcrazy »

I'm not sure I follow you on your subframe connector piece. I understand a rock slider. But am I grasping that you mounted it from the frame to the front subframe to keep it from flexing? Got any pics by chance?

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi,
Yes, the local guy in the metal supply yard said the old hot rodders used to beef up the Camaro Uni body with 2x2 steel tube. I did post a bunch of photos in the Off-road, lifted section about 12 months ago. I will look for them and try to repost.

AP

Topic author
Spdcrazy

Post by Spdcrazy »

Astrophysics wrote:Hi,
Yes, the local guy in the metal supply yard said the old hot rodders used to beef up the Camaro Uni body with 2x2 steel tube. I did post a bunch of photos in the Off-road, lifted section about 12 months ago. I will look for them and try to repost.

AP
No problem and no worries on doing extra work. I'll search your name and find them. But interesting idea. Never thought of it, but makes sense. Thanks again!

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Re: Exo cage? and Sub frame extension with 2x2 steel box tub

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi,
found a few photos.

AP
Attachments
IMAG2541 right side 2x2 under view.jpg

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

that was the right side, here is the left side.
Also, bolted some Manik round tube Nerf bars to the 2x2 box tube.

AP
Attachments
IMAG2542 left under view of 2x2 steel tubing.jpg

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

a closer view of subframe extension on the right side.

Some day I should get the 2x2 welded to the flat plates of Uni strut. Now it is bolted with grade 8 bolts and locks and flat and spacer bushings inside the box tube so as not to crush it when torque is applied to the bolts.

AP
Attachments
IMAG2537 2x2 sub frame extension and Manik 4x4 nerf bar right side Oct 2015.jpg

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

also used Loc tite on threads and blue lacquer torque stripe on torqued nuts to allow visual if any fasteners tend to loosen.

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Manik grille guard from 2002 GMC truck fits on Astro. Just have some 1/4" steel adapter arms fabbed to attach to bumber bracket. Use card board to make template.
Attachments
Manik 169851.jpg

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

card board template.
Attachments
bracket cardboard template.jpg