RUNNING HOT

Topic author
PatAus
I am merely driving my van

RUNNING HOT

Post by PatAus »

looking for advice...

Ive noticed above average operating temperatures in my 2002 AWD. Even to the point where it was almost on the redline before I stopped and ran the heaters to cool her down.

All the fluids and coolent are at correct leveles. This may be a coinciddnce but it seemed to start to run hotter after I installed 2" lift kit and larger tyres. Although im not convinced that any of those mods are the cause.

I have had the van loaded heavier and in as hot conditions before and never frequented the temperatures that im seeing now..

If some one would care to add advice and opinion I would be much obliged..

Thanks

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: RUNNING HOT

Post by Herbie »

PatAus wrote:looking for advice...

Ive noticed above average operating temperatures in my 2002 AWD. Even to the point where it was almost on the redline before I stopped and ran the heaters to cool her down.

All the fluids and coolent are at correct leveles. This may be a coinciddnce but it seemed to start to run hotter after I installed 2" lift kit and larger tyres. Although im not convinced that any of those mods are the cause.

I have had the van loaded heavier and in as hot conditions before and never frequented the temperatures that im seeing now..

If some one would care to add advice and opinion I would be much obliged..

Thanks
So, lift kit - body pucks or torsion bar in the front?

If you did the body pucks, did you make the necessary modifications to the fan shroud? Remember that the engine and fan mount to the crossmember, but the shroud mounts to the body, so it moved up by 2" relative to the fan. If you didn't make any changes, the fan is likely interfering on the shroud, which could be your problem. If you did cut the fan shroud, have you double-checked your work?
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

Topic author
PatAus

Post by PatAus »

Installed the pucks in the front.. i cut the fan shroud accordingly and re installed.. the fan is not touching the the shroud at any point.. is there something im missing ?

Are there any other common causes that may be getting her so hot ?

Thanks

Mmusicman
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Mmusicman »

Are you running hot at slower local driving speeds, or running hot at cruising highway speeds?

A few basic reasons for running hot or overheating:
* Low coolant level
* Poor coolant mix (water/antifreeze)
* Contaminated coolant (rust, air, combustion, blown head gasket, etc)
* Air pockets (causing boiling at hot spots)
* Bad cap (not maintaining adequate pressure)
* Blockage (such as bad thermostat)
* Poor coolant flow (such as a bad water-pump or poor flowing radiator)
* Poor air flow (such as a bad clutch or fan)
* Inadequate sized radiator for conditions (towing, racing, steep hills, etc)

Let's assume your coolant level is good, and your thermostat is working correctly.

* Poor coolant flow (over-heating would be more prevalent at higher speeds)
* Poor air flow (over-heating would be more prevalent at lower speeds where fan is more essential)

A proper functioning shroud (with good working mechanical fan) is essential for low-speed airflow.
Above 30mph the fan is redundant.
-
2000 Chevy Astro LS AWD | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com

Topic author
PatAus

Post by PatAus »

After a couple of test drives this is what is happening..

So at idle and when slow driving in town it remains at half or below half way on the gauge.. for higway driving without any strain the operating temps are fine.

Now as soon as there is any real strain on the engine or when im driving up windy roads the temperature rises quite quickly to the 3/4 line on the guage..

Once it reaches here it creeps slowly but surley towards the upper end of the guage..