2003 safari largest tires 2" lift

Topic author
tstol
I am merely driving my van

2003 safari largest tires 2" lift

Post by tstol »

Hey ya'll,

I'm SURE this topic has been beaten to death. This is my first forum and I couldn't get the search to pull up what I am looking for. I'm sure it's user error. I apologize in advance for a repeated topic.

I purchased a 2003 GMC Safari AWD. I just received my Overland 2" lift with shocks. I would like to purchase the largest possible tires without scraping or minimal trimming (which I've never done, but a friend did on his Jeep Cherokee). I can use the stock wheels, but I can also purchase new wheels. However, I'm having trouble figuring out what wheels/tires to get. So if I could get the following 2 questions answered it would be greatly appreciated (2" lift, winter driving):

1) Largest tires on stock wheels
2) Largest tire on aftermarket wheels w/recommended wheel size

Thanks!

TStol

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: 2003 safari largest tires 2" lift

Post by Herbie »

Generally, I think you should be able to get a 29". There might be a couple of guys with 30" tire on a 2" lift, but even a 29" may require some trimming. (30" will def. require all the trimming.) A lot of this depends on the width of the tire as much as the diameter, as there are a couple places for things to rub.

The upside is that the trimming is not difficult, it just sounds scary if you've never done it. Trimming the front bumper cover requires nothing more thansome sort of saw (skill saw, saber saw, airbody saw, etc.), hell you could probably do it with a hacksaw by hand. It's just plastic - easy to cut.

There's a metal support rod that supports the lower inboard "corner" of the cover than needs to be relocated somewhat forward, so you'll also need two pairs of pliers or a vice and a drill. To do this you can bend that rod a little, and drill a new mounting hole. You'd end up trimming away the original hole with some of the cover. It was such a trivial operation I didn't even take a picture of it at the time.
Here's a photo from another day, though:

Making it fit at the rear of the front wheel well, though, is a little bit harder. (But not much.) Crawl under the van behind the front wheel. You'll see there's a vertical seam we call the "pinch weld seam" - it's where the bottom and sides of the body were joined. Larger tires will interfere right at the lower corner of the well, so you need to make some room there. Typically we end up trimming the plastic trim and a bit of the metal from the seam, then whacking that corner with a big hammer. Others have posted pictures in here of the operation, but if you have a friend who's handy, it should be fairly obvious.

As for wheels - there's no reason to change. With a 2003, 16" is the smallest wheel you can probably fit unless you get very lucky with backspacing, etc. to clear the larger brakes (2003-2005). Going to a larger wheel isn't going to help any with the clearance and will reduce your sidewall height. As for tires, everyone has their preference, but fitment could be a bit easier if you stick to skinnier tires. The problem is that there aren't a ton of choices in 16", so the only way to get taller tires is to go a little bit wider too.

I'm currently running a P245/70-16 Geolandar (29.7"), with a 4" lift, and I will probably look for an LT215/85-16 (30.5") pizza-cutter style tire the next time around. But again, I've got more lift and I've done ALL the trimming.
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi Everyone,

Great topic. The LT215/85-16 is what I am thinking of using on a spare set stock wheels on my 2003 Astro AWD with the 2" lift. I also removed plastic front bumper cover when I installed new bumper and grille guard. May need to trim at pinch weld.
I was running LT225.70-16 BFG KO s even before the lift with no trimming. For commuting I changed to Michelin LTX P225/70-16 tires on the stock aluminum Astro wheels.
I had the BFG KO s mounted on some used 1996 Chevy Tahoe alum rims. Last month I wanted to go wheeling so I tried to swap wheels, but the old 96 Chevy rims did not have clearance for the larger brake calipers on my 2003 Astro.
Now I am looking at getting a spare set of OEM Astro alum wheels. The price has gone up but I suppose it is worth paying for good safe rims.

Astros are awesome.

AP
Attachments
image.jpeg

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Photo of inside rim clearance to make sure it clears larger calipers.
Attachments
image.jpeg

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

2003 with 2" lift and heavy I beam bumper and Manik grille guard.
Attachments
image.jpeg

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi Herbie,

Please try to repost some photos of your brackets used to attach the front 2" receiver.

Thanks '

Astro Physics
Attachments
image.jpeg

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

Astrophysics wrote:Hi Herbie,

Please try to repost some photos of your brackets used to attach the front 2" receiver.
Covered in this thread here.
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Herbie,

Thank you. That is very clever. The card board template was the key.
That is how I measured to get custom 1/4" steel brackets made to mount the Manik grille guard to my Astro. I too used longer grade 8 hex bolts 7/16" to mount to subframe bumper holes.
I originally added heavy bumper and grille guard for impact protection from front end.
But like some one mentioned , who knows how good the front is for winch recovery?

AP

Topic author
tstol

Post by tstol »

Herbie wrote:Generally, I think you should be able to get a 29". There might be a couple of guys with 30" tire on a 2" lift, but even a 29" may require some trimming. (30" will def. require all the trimming.) A lot of this depends on the width of the tire as much as the diameter, as there are a couple places for things to rub.

The upside is that the trimming is not difficult, it just sounds scary if you've never done it. Trimming the front bumper cover requires nothing more thansome sort of saw (skill saw, saber saw, airbody saw, etc.), hell you could probably do it with a hacksaw by hand. It's just plastic - easy to cut.

There's a metal support rod that supports the lower inboard "corner" of the cover than needs to be relocated somewhat forward, so you'll also need two pairs of pliers or a vice and a drill. To do this you can bend that rod a little, and drill a new mounting hole. You'd end up trimming away the original hole with some of the cover. It was such a trivial operation I didn't even take a picture of it at the time.
Here's a photo from another day, though:

Making it fit at the rear of the front wheel well, though, is a little bit harder. (But not much.) Crawl under the van behind the front wheel. You'll see there's a vertical seam we call the "pinch weld seam" - it's where the bottom and sides of the body were joined. Larger tires will interfere right at the lower corner of the well, so you need to make some room there. Typically we end up trimming the plastic trim and a bit of the metal from the seam, then whacking that corner with a big hammer. Others have posted pictures in here of the operation, but if you have a friend who's handy, it should be fairly obvious.

As for wheels - there's no reason to change. With a 2003, 16" is the smallest wheel you can probably fit unless you get very lucky with backspacing, etc. to clear the larger brakes (2003-2005). Going to a larger wheel isn't going to help any with the clearance and will reduce your sidewall height. As for tires, everyone has their preference, but fitment could be a bit easier if you stick to skinnier tires. The problem is that there aren't a ton of choices in 16", so the only way to get taller tires is to go a little bit wider too.

I'm currently running a P245/70-16 Geolandar (29.7"), with a 4" lift, and I will probably look for an LT215/85-16 (30.5") pizza-cutter style tire the next time around. But again, I've got more lift and I've done ALL the trimming.
Thanks for such a detailed answer! Sorry for such a basic question: does this sound like a decent tire size with minimal trimming? 235/70R16. This is my first Safari project and I know nothing. Starting from scratch. Thanks for your patience.

Topic author
tstol

Post by tstol »

Astrophysics wrote:Hi Everyone,

Great topic. The LT215/85-16 is what I am thinking of using on a spare set stock wheels on my 2003 Astro AWD with the 2" lift. I also removed plastic front bumper cover when I installed new bumper and grille guard. May need to trim at pinch weld.
I was running LT225.70-16 BFG KO s even before the lift with no trimming. For commuting I changed to Michelin LTX P225/70-16 tires on the stock aluminum Astro wheels.
I had the BFG KO s mounted on some used 1996 Chevy Tahoe alum rims. Last month I wanted to go wheeling so I tried to swap wheels, but the old 96 Chevy rims did not have clearance for the larger brake calipers on my 2003 Astro.
Now I am looking at getting a spare set of OEM Astro alum wheels. The price has gone up but I suppose it is worth paying for good safe rims.

Astros are awesome.

AP
So if I'm understanding what you're saying, the 215/85 is a thinner, taller tire, right? And what is LTX? Thanks and sorry for the basic questions while I'm learning.

Topic author
tstol

Post by tstol »

Astrophysics wrote:2003 with 2" lift and heavy I beam bumper and Manik grille guard.
Astrophysics, could you send a link to where you purchased the grill guards (and roof rack as well) please? They look great. I google Manik grille guard but couldn't find one for the Safari, unless you modified it to fit. Thanks!

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi,

Fortunately, the Astro is just about as wide as a full size Chevy / GMC pick up truck. The Astro is indeed wider than an old S10 Chevy truck or Blazer.
A 2" lift and bumper relocation bracket is your first step. Then you will see how the front bumper is attached to frame.

So I looked for grille guards to fit 1999-2003 GMC Sierra truck or Chevy Silverado.
I found the Manik at a bumper place in Sun Valley Ca, near Burbank. Lots of car stuff in So Cal for sure.
Manik and Waag are out of business now so try Westin, and other brands. Even try to get used one. The whole secret of mounting a grille guard to the Astro with stock plastic bumper cover is to cut vertical slots in the -plastic cover as well as the OEM sheet steel bumper in the correct place so a flat 1/4" steel dog leg adapter bracket can be attached to the Astro bolt bolts that go to frame. Just use longer bolts.
At one time I think I posted some photos. Use card board to make the template.
I will look for old photos.

When I pulled off OEM bumper I installed an aluminum I beam bumper from pic your part. If you find some quality cars like Volvo and bow, and Cadillac from about 2000 model year they have some nice aluminum front bumpers at pic n pull etc. Then you don't need the OEM Chevy plastic bumper cover which interferes with bigger tires anyway.

AP