Have tire sizes, need thoughts

HAVE A TIRE QUESTION? LIKE YOUR TIRES AND WANT TO LET EVERYONE KNOW? NEED TO KNOW IF THEY WILL FIT? POST IT HERE.

Topic author
tstol
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Have tire sizes, need thoughts

Post by tstol »

Hey ya'll,

Ok, I now have some tire sizes and need your opinion on the following. Thanks again for the help. The size differences are based on the original tire size of 215/70R16 on my 2003 GMC Safari.

235/65 - same height, 1" wider
235/70 - 1" higher, 1" wider
225/70 - 1/2" higher, 1/2" wider
215/85 - Same width, 2.5" taller

I don't mind experimenting with some trimming. Not ready for "all the trimming" yet. I believe the 225/70 does not require any trimming. What are your thoughts on the other sizes? Is up to 1" wider ok? Still open sliding door? Is 2.5" too tall if there's no change to width? Etc.

Thanks!

Snowgeek
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: Have tire sizes, need thoughts

Post by Snowgeek »

I went all the way to 4” at the very beginning so I can’t speak to the clearance of the 2” lift. But I am feeling like the 235/70 seems like a good bet. Yes you are going to clear the sliding door no problem. I am 245/75 on mine with a little trimming and a very occasional rub while turning and compressing.

In the end you will have to make a choice and then work around it.

I personally think tall and narrow will look wierd on these vans but that is just personal preferance.

Another way to go is find pictures of someone’s van that you like with similar lift. You can see this in the user signature typically and then use what they used. I have done that a lot ..... big thanks to T.low my great inspiration!!!! Wish him the bery best!!!

This of course is made much harder by photobucket disconnecting our images but it sounds like there are now ways around that.

Ryan
2004 Astro (was AWD now 4X4) 125,000 miles: purchased April 2012
Colorado Camper Van poptop
4" Overland lift, Rancho 5000 Cooper AT3 245/75/16 C,
4x4 - NP236 Transfercase
Propex HS2211 propane heater
I am copying a few of you hope you don't mind!

See my build here

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Have tire sizes, need thoughts

Post by Herbie »

Remember too that 1" wider means 1/2" wider in each direction (inboard and outboard), unless you're added spacers or changing wheel offset. You can easily estimate how much clearance you'll have to the slider by just opening the door with your current tires and taking a measurement at the closest spot. Half of whatever you add to the tire width will move towards the door.
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.