Rear heat issue -- new parts

HVAC, heating, cooling, air handling. Anything air temp related.

Topic author
SteveTR6
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Rear heat issue -- new parts

Post by SteveTR6 »

2003 Astro AWD LT, 156k miles. Within the last 2 weeks, the blower resistor failed, followed (almost immediately after replacement) by the blower motor. Fixed all that, now have perfect heat again in front. For the last few months, the rear heat has not worked. I bypassed the solenoid by routing the manifold (incoming) vacuum hose directly to the heater valve, which worked for a while until the valve failed and started puking coolant. Last week I replaced both the solenoid and the valve with new parts. After install, I get no hot air to the rear. I let the thing run for a loooong time (also driven it 50+ miles), made sure the coolant was full, everything. Front blows burning hot air, rear about 70 degrees. Today, I decided to pull the manifold vacuum line off the solenoid to make sure it's not plugged with coolant from when the valve failed. As soon as I pull the hose, I hear it hissing (good!) and the rear starts blowing hot air. Now I think I messed up somehow.
Can somebody please tell me the CORRECT way to hook up the vacuum lines? As in, how did Chevy do it? I installed the manifold vacuum tube to the top nipple on the new solenoid, and the bottom nipple I connected to the nipple on the valve. Obviously, that's not right....
Thanks
Steve
2003 Astro LT AWD, dark carmine red, newest family member
2002 Astro LT 2WD, pewter -- gone but not forgotten. head gasket at 209k did it in
1994 Astro CL EXT, traded at 150k for the 2002
2000 Jaguar XJ8L, wife's daily driver
1981 Goldwing, naked, my daily driver 8+ months out of the year
1980 Vespa P200, wife's toy

Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Re: Rear heat issue -- new parts

Post by Captn. Crunch »

You’re asking a question conserning just about the only thing on my van I haven’t had my hands on. Hopefully someone who has will be by to help. I’d go look at mine but it dark and snowing
Captn. Crunch
"I don't beat my rig-I use it to it's maximum potential"
1994 Safari conversion (sold) and miss'n it!
1999 Safari SLE AWD junked
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT
cast iron Torsen equipped front diff
S-10 leafs-G80 rear w/3.73’s
2” body lift w/Falken Wildpeak AT’s