How do I wire LED in parallel

USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY ELECTRICAL QUESTIONS SUCH AS WIRE COLOR CODES, BLOWING FUSES OR WIRING SHORTS.

Topic author
Wiley
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

How do I wire LED in parallel

Post by Wiley »

Hi, I am going to install some small recessed lights in the ceiling, and need to wire them in parallel. Everything else is wired up with solder etc, but I do not know the proper way to do these. Should I strip the middle of 1 long main wire and solder in a piece perpendicular to this like below, or should I forgo solder and buy some clips from a local marine store? Just looking for the correct way to wire them up in the van. Thanks

2guys1truck.com: 2004 AWD Chevy Astro from California to Colombia!
want to follow along, or think our paths may cross, Facebook kjswiley

WE7X
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: How do I wire LED in parallel

Post by WE7X »

You can/should wire them in parallel if they are each designed for 12v operation.
Please put a fuse in the circuit, and preferably at the power source.
WE7X aka Rod Johnson
Forest Green Metallic '98 LS AWD
Issaquah, WA

Topic author
Wiley
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: How do I wire LED in parallel

Post by Wiley »

I will have a fuse as it is going to a fuse block, but for LEDs a lot of people go straight to the battery. I installed a dual battery system awhile ago, just upgrading/re-wiring, but I am basically an electrical noob, so appreciate the comment.

I am really just looking for a pic of how to connect the wires, but the terms I am using with Google are not working...only a few pics of the yellow caps that screw the wires together often used in house ceilings....must be a better method with a camper van I would think....I will probably just pick up some clips from West Marine, it is just some LED lights, not a big deal I suppose.
2guys1truck.com: 2004 AWD Chevy Astro from California to Colombia!
want to follow along, or think our paths may cross, Facebook kjswiley