Has anyone relocated rear license plate to the bumper?

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Has anyone relocated rear license plate to the bumper?

Post by Herbie »

Hey all. I'm revisiting my rear cargo arrangement (again), and I'm finding it inconvenient that any solution I come up with is gated by having the rear plate on the passenger-side lower-door.

Has anyone relocated the plate elsewhere? I'd be fine with moving it to the cargo box driver's door, except that I'd have to also relocate the light for it, and I don't see a clean way to bring the wiring for that through the skin of that door without risking water intrusion, etc.

The bumper seems like a good candidate, in that I should be able to either tap into the tow-light harness, or reroute the existing plate-light circuit from where it goes from the jack storage area (since the grommet for the tow harness is also in that area).

Anyone tried anything like this?
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Re: Has anyone relocated rear license plate to the bumper?

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi,

License plates are very reflective nowadays. I bet you could drive for months if not years without a license plate light.
A fix it ticket could be issued if you got stopped.

If you do the bumper mount, you could also protect the license plate from small impacts by getting the $39.00 heavy rubber license plate holder from auto zone. I put one on my front license plate.

Another idea with the wide assortment of low current LED's is to run a battery powered light. Maybe one with a small solar charger and a dusk to dawn photo electric sensor.

AP
Attachments
image.jpeg

tomas
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by tomas »

AP I've seen a couple of those setup of bumper and license plate before. Pretty good way to avoid any penalty compare to just putting some light on original plate location.

markinnh
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by markinnh »

I cut a hole in my bumper and added a license plate box with two led lights then welded in the back door area where the original plate box was. I do not know how to add pics to this site other wise I would do so. Mark
always tinkering with stuff