2001 Safari hard or won;t start when wet outside

PLACE ANY ISSUES RELATED TO YOUR VAN NOT STARTING OR STARTING HARD IN HERE.

Topic author
Roadstar01
I am merely driving my van

2001 Safari hard or won;t start when wet outside

Post by Roadstar01 »

Thanks in Advance
After sitting a day or so outside after good rain or after the ground sweats; the van will turn over but not fire. I assumed the Distributor has a crack in it so I have had success using a hair dryer and aiming it the best I can in the direction of the distributer from under the hood. After about 20 mins of getting hot air in that direction it will start. Should I suspect it is the distributor or anything else to suspect?

I'll try to find a thread to talk about squeezing more HP out of it.
So while having the dog house off...The question I am going to ask is: Put in a high performance distributer, bigger plug wires and bigger plugs/gap for bigger spark and have the computer mapped/chipped? or just stay with stock OEM distributer, cap and plugs?
My 2001 AWD Safari SLT has airlift bags on the rear suspension, transmission cooler, upgraded transmission and electric trailer brake controller. It earns it keep when not doing regular driving.
Pulls the 23 foot deep V Cobalt pleasure
Boat and pulls the car trailer for the
Midsize backhoe.

Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Re: 2001 Safari hard or won;t start when wet outside

Post by Captn. Crunch »

Install a new distributor cap and rotor. When doing so, move the rotor back and forth If there is any slop the distributor shaft may be worn. Other than that there is no hp gains to be found here. Good luck and feel free to search for hot rod tips for the 4.3.
Captn. Crunch
"I don't beat my rig-I use it to it's maximum potential"
1994 Safari conversion (sold) and miss'n it!
1999 Safari SLE AWD junked
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT
cast iron Torsen equipped front diff
S-10 leafs-G80 rear w/3.73’s
2” body lift w/Falken Wildpeak AT’s

AstroWill
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by AstroWill »

Fireworks test(spray water and watch for arcing in the dark), check plugs, check wires visually and ohm them with a meter, check for distributor play: see videos here: https://sites.google.com/site/astrosafa ... or-disease

Topic author
Roadstar01

Post by Roadstar01 »

Thank you for the suggestions. Will change the cap and rotor and wires while I'm in there and inspect the distributer.
My 2001 AWD Safari SLT has airlift bags on the rear suspension, transmission cooler, upgraded transmission and electric trailer brake controller. It earns it keep when not doing regular driving.
Pulls the 23 foot deep V Cobalt pleasure
Boat and pulls the car trailer for the
Midsize backhoe.