Removing body cladding?

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Topic author
WE7X
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Removing body cladding?

Post by WE7X »

I am considering removing the lower body cladding on my '98 LS.
I see horror stories about 'rust' in some areas of the country. It is not usually an issue here in the Pacific Northwest, unless you live right on the coast.
Assuming I do not have much rust inside, what else am I likely to find as far as additional holes etc. How are they mounted?
It appears that some edges are just automotive trim tape, and a few small screws in the wheel openings.
What else hold these onto the body, that will leave holes if i try to remove them?
Thanks,

Rod J
Issaquah, WA
WE7X aka Rod Johnson
Forest Green Metallic '98 LS AWD
Issaquah, WA

Wiley
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Removing body cladding?

Post by Wiley »

What year is the van, I can go verify but its a bunch of the tape like you mentioned. You will need some sort of fenders that people sometimes find in a junkyard but I do not have those, so I plan to cut the old cladding and put back until I find a pair regardless to how it looks, as that metal corner hurts your head when working in the wheel well hahah, so it wouldn't do a tire any good either. There is a 3M puck wheel that I have waiting to remove the adhesive others here have recommended, I can grab the part number.

Edit: Add your Year, and details of your van in your sig if you can, it helps people as there are slight differences between certain years.
2guys1truck.com: 2004 AWD Chevy Astro from California to Colombia!
want to follow along, or think our paths may cross, Facebook kjswiley

Wiley
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Wiley »

I was wrong there were screw holes in the van body below the door, they go from from the wheel well to the door and then stop, then there is a ledge under that, with screw holes from front to back.

Here are some pics, plus the corners. I will probably just clean up around the holes and ignore them, they are not too obvious.
Attachments
IMG_2997.JPG
Gap where fender would go
Gap where fender would go
Sharp corner behind fender area, better cover or trim
Sharp corner behind fender area, better cover or trim
Distance between holes, screw holes stop here
Distance between holes, screw holes stop here
Rear corner, has a sharp edge you may want to trim-cant rotate, sharp edge points to floor, this is from rear wheel well looking forward
Rear corner, has a sharp edge you may want to trim-cant rotate, sharp edge points to floor, this is from rear wheel well looking forward
Last edited by Wiley on Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
WE7X
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by WE7X »

Sorry, Mine is a '98 LS AWD
WE7X aka Rod Johnson
Issaquah, WA

Topic author
WE7X
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by WE7X »

Great pic's, thanks.

Rather than leaving the few screw holes to possibly collect water and mud (I am up in the Pacific NorthWe(s)t rain zone); I would consider putting screws back in those holes, with a bit of caulk or a thin rubber washer. Then paint them with some touch-up paint. They should not look bad at all.
Maybe a small mud flap could be installed with screws in the same holes, or seal up the holes and hide them behind a mud flap.

Rod Johnson
WE7X aka Rod Johnson
Issaquah, WA

Wiley
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Wiley »

Great point I will do exactly that with the holes, not sure why I would be so lazy.

Also, it wasn't 3m, I bought a "Smart Eraser Pad 400E" by Astro Pneumatic Tool Company, its just a pad to remove the adhesive, but should save a lot of time and elbow grease. :cheers:

Wiley
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Wiley »

Please see update, there are screws underneath that run from front to back.

Topic author
WE7X
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by WE7X »

Yes,
I found some free time today, and with dry ground (dry ground is something unusual in the Pacific Northwest so far this spring). I ran the van up on blocks, and looked at the situation. I now see the many screws you mentioned, but they should not be much of a problem to deal with.
I will be headed to a couple of P'n'P's soon, and hopefully I will be able to see a bit more detail about how it all comes apart, and how big a mess remains after removal. I have a small list of incidental items to look for to, so I am sure I will be visiting almost every Astro/Safari on the lots.
WE7X aka Rod Johnson
Issaquah, WA