Rear ride height etc

FROM FIBERGLASS MONOLEAFS TO AIR BAGS, STOCK HEIGHT TO BODY SLAMMED, EVERYTHING EXCEPT LIFTS GO HERE.

Topic author
WE7X
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Rear ride height etc

Post by WE7X »

Wondering about 'stock' ride height... I was under my '98 van this week and noticed fairly new looking white labels (but not quite readable) on the rear springs, and Bilstein rear shocks. I am still on the basic LT215/70R15 tires.
It makes me wonder if some rear suspension work has been done recently. I Know a lot of the front suspension components were recently done. I have only owned this van for 5 months, and most of that was sitting during the winter, so I have put less than 500miles on it's accumulated 212K.
I am wondering how to determine if the current ride height is 'normal' or has sagged some. I looked through the factory service manual, and did not see anything about stock ride height. Is there a 'normal' measurement for something like the height of the top of the wheel well opening? I am sure I have seen it for some vehicles, but I do not see it in my manuals. I may have just missed it.
How much space should there be between the stock springs or axle tube, and the frame; when normal weight is on the suspension?
It appears that I will need to replace the bump stops, which are badly disintegrated, but the dealer says they are no longer available. Are they available aftermarket?
Thanks,
Rod J
WE7X aka Rod Johnson
Forest Green Metallic '98 LS AWD
Issaquah, WA

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Rear ride height etc

Post by Smiliesafari »

Good questions, Rod. I have a factory service manual and have not seen the measurement you need. You might look at other Chevy trucks to see if their bump stops would work.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Topic author
WE7X
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by WE7X »

Well, I finally found the the answer. It is called 'Trim Height' and the spec for 'Trim Height' in my factory '98 manual, is in the Suspension section ( Pg 3-3 ), right after the Suspension chapter index.
In the rear it is measured from the top of the axle tube to the bottom of the frame.
For AWD ( F4WD) , it is 5.5 inches
For the RWD it is 3.1 inches

Mine are right at that 5.5 inch measurement, with the factory third seat removed, and it appears the rear springs have been replaced at some point. They look fairly clean, with no apparent rust, and even some sort of partial part number labels still attached.
My RPO code (C5M) indicates I have the 6100 Lbs GVW rating, but if the rear springs were replaced then that might no longer be accurate.
WE7X aka Rod Johnson
Issaquah, WA

Wiley
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Wiley »

I bought some Energy star bump stops only because stroverlander used them, so I did not shop around, but they are bump stops.

https://www.amazon.com/Energy-Suspensio ... sal+FIT%29

Heres the Trans Body Mount I went with as well off his recommendation also, might as well check it while you are under the van, easy swap for this as well
https://www.amazon.com/Energy-Suspensio ... ission/dp/

Thanks for the measurement info, I have new leafs waiting to be installed so I will see where mine at before changing.
2guys1truck.com: 2004 AWD Chevy Astro from California to Colombia!
want to follow along, or think our paths may cross, Facebook kjswiley

Topic author
WE7X
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by WE7X »

Bump stops:
Today I noticed that my spare rear axle assembly has nearly new triangular black rubber bump stops, so I can use them and save a few $$. They are about 1/2 inch taller than my one intact original, but I do not think that will be an issue for me, and I am planing to redo the rear springs to add a couple more inches of body clearance.
WE7X aka Rod Johnson
Issaquah, WA