Skid plates, cross bars , Uni strut brackets

Topic author
Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Skid plates, cross bars , Uni strut brackets

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi,

Making progress with skid plates.

1. Transfer case protected with addition of 4 mm aluminum plate that came from pic n pull.

2. Transmission protected with flat piece of 3/16" aluminum, 18" X 18".

3. Working on engine oil pan skid plate, for which I will use 4 mm alum from S10 Blazer.

4. Front diff skid plate

AP
Attachments
Uni strut 4 hole Clevis plus channel clamps
Uni strut 4 hole Clevis plus channel clamps

Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Re: Skid plates, cross bars , Uni strut brackets

Post by Captn. Crunch »

Looking good! I’ve been meaning to do the same thing. I’ve got a ‘00 Zr2 Blazer. It came thru with carbon fiber skid plates. I bought a full set of aluminums from a Zr2 forum member. I’ve been needing to put both vehicles up it the air side by side to see just what will bolt right up and what’s gonna need mounts fabbed up. Good job looking forward to seein how you make out.
Captn. Crunch
"I don't beat my rig-I use it to it's maximum potential"
1994 Safari conversion (sold) and miss'n it!
1999 Safari SLE AWD junked
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT
cast iron Torsen equipped front diff
S-10 leafs-G80 rear w/3.73’s
2” body lift w/Falken Wildpeak AT’s

Topic author
Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi,

My approach to skid plates:

1. Use aluminum not steel. For my use on mild off roading, The purpose of skid plate is to take the first impact that might have damaged the tranny pan or deep pan engine oil pan, or t case or front diff.

2. Use OEM holes in frame and sub frame as much as possible to set mounting brackets with grade 8 bolts. No welding so far.''

3. Install lateral cross bars. For tranny and engine area, I used 44" long steel square box tube 1/8" wall, 1 1/4" X 1 1/4". These connect to the Uni strut 4 hole Clevis brackets.

For the rear t case cross by used 1 1/2" steel square tube 59" long attached to rock rail Nerf side bar Uni strut wing fittings.'

To attach the aluminum skid plate I either used 3/8" bolts or in some cases self drilling self tapping #12 hex head fasteners, 1" long. They have neoprene washer too, to avoid scratching the aluminum. They have 5/16" (8 mm) hex head. Use electric impact wrench to set them after drilling 1/8" pilot hole.

AP
Attachments
Alum skid plates 2003 AWD
Alum skid plates 2003 AWD

Topic author
Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Self tapping fasteners
#12 X 1" length
Attachments
Self drilling, self tapping #12 X 1" fasteners
Self drilling, self tapping #12 X 1" fasteners

Topic author
Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Skid row news
Attachments
Skid plate
Skid plate

WE7X
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by WE7X »

In some industrial applications with steel decking, those self-tapping screws sometimes work loose, so keep a close eye on them. You do not want to find one in a tire!
And what's with the comment about rubber gaskets so the aluminum does not get scratched...on a skid pan??
Me thinks if possible scratches on a skid pan are a potential issue, the skid pan should never see it's way off pavement.
Maybe I am misreading the comment, and it was in jest. <GRIN>
Rod J
WE7X aka Rod Johnson
Forest Green Metallic '98 LS AWD
Issaquah, WA

tomas
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by tomas »

WE7X wrote:In some industrial applications with steel decking, those self-tapping screws sometimes work loose, so keep a close eye on them. You do not want to find one in a tire!
And what's with the comment about rubber gaskets so the aluminum does not get scratched...on a skid pan??
Me thinks if possible scratches on a skid pan are a potential issue, the skid pan should never see it's way off pavement.
Maybe I am misreading the comment, and it was in jest. <GRIN>
Rod J
Wonder how those self-tapping screws now. A buddy of mine used those screws on the cheapo skid plate for his Jeep and they definitely not lasts that long, he got a new set of poison spyder skidplates now which is doing good at off-road beating.

Topic author
Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the info on self tapping screws! Yes, I may take your advice and replace them with 1/4" Riv nuts at that location.

I tested the skid plates on fire roads with high center covered with grass and weeds.

I got to try out the np231 low range t case last weekend. Works great. Creating along in 4 LO is great on steep hills. Locked tranny in 1 St to creep up or down steeps hills. Approximate speeds with little or no throttle applied.
4 LO speeds vs transmission gear:
1 St gear 3 mph
2 Nd gear 5 mph
3 Rd gear 9 mph
4 th gear 12 mph

The cable shift works great. Nice to manually get the transfer case range you want without waiting for electric shift computer to think and blink about it before operating encoder motor.

AP
Attachments
2&quot; X 30 ft Pro comp strap 20,000 lbs recovery.
2" X 30 ft Pro comp strap 20,000 lbs recovery.