Looking for opinions on non0open rear differentils

ANYTHING TO DO WITH MAKING YOUR VAN MOVE EXCEPT FOR THE ENGINE ITSELF.

Topic author
WE7X
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Looking for opinions on non0open rear differentils

Post by WE7X »

I want to install some sort of a limited slip rear end in my '98 AWD Astro, and I do not want the original G80 style 'Gov-Loc' version, which I understand to be somewhat unreliable and requires a fair amount of axle speed differential to be useful.
The used Torsen diff I purchased, after disassembly and inspection, turned out to be badly worn. The E-bay seller graciously refunded my money with no hassle.
After consulting with a recommended diff' builder in the area, who is willing to install 'whatever I decide to provide' ( even used, assuming it is determined to be serviceable after inspection), I have decided to purchase a new unit for the installation.
I am looking for user recommendations as to the paved road driveability of the various units.
I know some are considered 'lockers' and are a bit awkward on pavement. I do not want that 'chirping' which is annoying and hard on tires. Others seem to be much more mild mannered. Most of my limited driving will be on pavement, but I do plan to get off the beaten path with this rig several times a year. It will be nothing serious like the hard-core Jeep crowd seems to relish; just old rough back country, and poorly maintained, forest roads etc; in an effort to get to the high places for amateur radio portable operations and back country camping.
I have looked at the Auburn 'cone clutch' style, and the Eaton/Detroit 'Torsen gear' style ( called Tru-Trac, I think) as well as a couple versions which which use clutch packs ( Yukon?). For my expected use, and very limited accumulations of miles, I am sure any would work adequately.
That is what makes the decision so difficult.
Any input is appreciated.
Rod J
WE7X aka Rod Johnson
Forest Green Metallic '98 LS AWD
Issaquah, WA

Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Re: Looking for opinions on non0open rear differentils

Post by Captn. Crunch »

Sorry to hear you got a bad unit, glad the seller did the rite thing.
I love my Truetrac !!! I suggest buying one wholeheartedly. Pros vs. cons

Pros- all done with gears no clutch plates to wear
Very streetable
No special fluids

Cons- can be a little pricey but they do go on sale
they don’t work with a wheel off the ground but applying small amount of brake cures that
Captn. Crunch
"I don't beat my rig-I use it to it's maximum potential"
1994 Safari conversion (sold) and miss'n it!
1999 Safari SLE AWD junked
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT
cast iron Torsen equipped front diff
S-10 leafs-G80 rear w/3.73’s
2” body lift w/Falken Wildpeak AT’s

nonhog
I get chills without my van.

Re: Looking for opinions on non0open rear differentils

Post by nonhog »

Hi Rod,
I drove during our lowland snow/ice day and was very impressed with the Eaton I installed. I tried to spin the tires at one point and couldn't. It did spin once on my almost 20 mile commute. Around a corner.
Recovering hoarder