'Gifted to me" - a front diff

THIS FORUM IS FOR ANY QUESTIONS ON THE 7.25" IFS FRONT DIFF, CV HALF SHAFTS AND FRONT DRIVE SHAFT.

Topic author
WE7X
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

'Gifted to me" - a front diff

Post by WE7X »

So, I was given this front diff from a late model Safari body that was headed to the crusher. No doors or rear end so nothing to go on as far as actual year or any RPO codes.
What is the easiest way to determine the ratio, without tearing it apart. I think it is fair to assume it is either a 3.48 or a 3.73 ( or what ever the close numbers make it).
I have seen variations on locking one axle, spinning the input, and counting the rotations of the other axle.
If I understand it correctly, the other axle should rotate twice as fast with the one axle locked; so to find the ratio, I divide the free axle turns count in half , and then compare to the input revolutions, for the ratio.
Have I got that correct?
Thanks,
Rod J
WE7X aka Rod Johnson
Forest Green Metallic '98 LS AWD
Issaquah, WA

WoodButcher
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: 'Gifted to me" - a front diff

Post by WoodButcher »

Rod, take the cover off and read the numbers on the gear. If your going to use it you'll want to at least change the fluid and eyeball the gear condition anyway.
'93 Safari shorty, 350 swap
'05 Astro AWD, lifted, 6 liter, cammed, ported and programmed for fast.
'69 G10, straight 6, 3 onatree, jumped at me when I had a pocketful of cash looking for a spare astro. :)

Topic author
WE7X
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by WE7X »

Woodbutcher,
As stated, this is a front diff; so there is no normal 'cover'; just the side of the aluminum housing where the passenger side axle bearings are located.
Rod J
WE7X aka Rod Johnson
Forest Green Metallic '98 LS AWD
Issaquah, WA

Mmusicman
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Mmusicman »

WE7X wrote:If I understand it correctly, the other axle should rotate twice as fast with the one axle locked; so to find the ratio, I divide the free axle turns count in half , and then compare to the input revolutions, for the ratio.
Have I got that correct?
Yes, you have this essentially correct.
This method works perfectly, no need to take anything apart.
You can also turn both axles 1 turn, and count the input.
Same thing, less math. lol
Either will work.
-
2000 Chevy Astro LS AWD | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com