Encoder motor question

ANYTHING TO DO WITH MAKING YOUR VAN MOVE EXCEPT FOR THE ENGINE ITSELF.

Topic author
Wetcoaster
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Encoder motor question

Post by Wetcoaster »

Hi all

I've been coming here to research the replacement of the encoder motor on my 1999 Safari AWD

What I've learned is that the motor should not be adjusted to fit I to the transfer case, nor should you add power to adjust it's position.

What I can't find the answer to however is what SHOULD I do if I find out the new motor is not in the same position as the transfer case?

Thanks

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Encoder motor question

Post by Herbie »

Wetcoaster wrote:Hi all

I've been coming here to research the replacement of the encoder motor on my 1999 Safari AWD

What I've learned is that the motor should not be adjusted to fit I to the transfer case, nor should you add power to adjust it's position.

What I can't find the answer to however is what SHOULD I do if I find out the new motor is not in the same position as the transfer case?

Thanks
Westcoaster - I've been off the board for a bit, so I didn't see this until now. Did you get this solved? One guess might be to use the shaft from the old encoder motor and a pair of vice grips to shift the tcase to the necessary position?

The NP233 I'm running has been converted from electronic to cable shift, and while this isn't a direct comparison, it does tell me that with a little effort, once *should* be able to move that selector around...
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Re: Encoder motor question

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi,

I would imagine that the encoder is designed to fail in the 2 WD mode rather than AWD.

I will try to look in my 2003 Astro big Shop manual an see if it has details of encoder and the np136 transfer case.
I replaced my np136 TCase with a manually shifted np231C.

Good luck.

AP