NEW MEMBER - CAPE COD (local owner help?)

Introduce yourself
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
Rein
I am merely driving my van

NEW MEMBER - CAPE COD (local owner help?)

Post by Rein »

Greetings!

I’ve been on this forum since 2013 but never posted - just a lurker searching for answers. As you can see from my signature lines I’m a third-time AstroSafari owner. Coming down from two Dodge B250’s in construction my needs changed and I wanted the largest van smaller than a fullsize I could find. After months of research - pulling up to AS owners on the street and asking them their opinions - I finally opted for the AS instead of all other choices out there at the time - all smaller and with shorter lifespans and less-happy owners. :) I love the 4 x 8 cargo area, small turning radius, guts when you floor that 4.3 V6, driver visibility. Still hate that small left leg footroom for the driver but life’s a tradeoff, right?

I’ve never been a gearhead (I hate to get hands so dirty I can’t clean up with a nailbrush at the end of the day - what can I tell ya?) but I’ve done basic and some more-than-basic repairs (valve job ’66 MGB at Camp Lejeune 1969) with guidance/tools over the years. I’d still prefer to earn a living some other way and be able to afford to pay a good, honest mechanic to do the dirty work. Nowadays, however, at 71 and with an extremely limited income (still working fulltime to survive) I’m forced to do as much work as I can on my own. My finances changed drastically after my ex and I went our separate ways about 3 years ago so now taking care of the entire mortage and bills - baking out of my home kitchen - forces me to teach myself diagnostics and repair what I can on my own.

My previous Safari finally died (it was on it’s last legs for at least a year and finally blew a brake line on my way to a gig a month ago) and I had to replace it fast. I’d been hunting around for a new vehicle for at least the last year and had to settle for what looked like the best condition and mileage within my budget. Unfortunately, that vehicle choice turned out to be a mistake, as the number of things wrong with it at the beginning made it all but undriveable as soon as I got it home. D’oh!!! I’ve been online for the last couple weeks learning diagnostics, trying to work out best solutions for the codes I’m getting on my FIXD device (which I now know was maybe not the best choice for an OBDII reader but that’s all I knew when I purchased it). It’s a case of doing my research but not knowing the questions to ask due to not knowing enough basic information to start with. Oi! :)

Some of the negative changes from first to second gen AS’s I’ve already discovered: doghouse attachment much less efficient, wheels 16 vs previous 15 (and I had aluminum rims and matching rubber in great shape, darn it!). Am going to miss my AWD a lot, as well as all the bells and whistles on the SLE missing on this Base van. Oh well - I rarely used anything on the overhead console except the map light, I guess. That one was also already fitted with a remote start I really appreciated on winter days when I was frantically prepping for a farmer’s market or event and got Safari warmed up and ready to go while I was still inside.

Anyhow, I’m at a place right now where I could really use some on-the-ground help, ideally another AS owner in the area who would like to assist me when i need it, give me a ride to the autoparts store when Astro refuses to idle at a stopsign or even run well enough to get out of the driveway, someone who I can reciprocate with whenever needed, etc. I’ve got basic mechanic’s tools, floor jack/jackstands, a pair of driveup ramps, Fluke multimeter, etc. Don’t have an empty garage, although that would change if I could get the junk out of it! ;-)

Sooo, if you know of someone in the Upper Cape/Mid-Cape area who’s an AS owner and might be willing to help or needs help please let me know. Also, moderators, where I should post that specific question most appropriately in case current members don’t monitor this particular section of the forum.

Thanks!
Attachments
All photos taken by previous owner, posted in the CL ad.
All photos taken by previous owner, posted in the CL ad.
00s0s_7IZEytYNDy9_1200x900.jpg
00r0r_d7tH1MF7k5U_1200x900.jpg
00k0k_efCbqBfDMH8_1200x900.jpg
00D0D_lKmDmewk5xl_1200x900.jpg
2004 RWD Astro Base purchased late 2018 - 3rd time’s a charm?
2000 AWD Safari SLE purchased 2011 - hanging onto for parts and possible rebuild.
1988 AWD Safari purchased very used; replaced engine w/rebuilt; scrapped at 23 years.

Falmouth, Cape Cod, USA

fasted48

Re: NEW MEMBER - CAPE COD (local owner help?)

Post by fasted48 »

Hello
Here on the south shore,Whitman. Just wanted to say hello.also a astro van nut. I,ve had four vans 93, two 96 and presently a 1985 short wheelbase base commercial. my little hot rod. Small block chevy 350 turbo 400, 2" dropped front spindles, 3" flip kit in rear. Repainted two tone, 55 chevy colors. Still a project in the woks. I'm 74 and still a gearhead. Try do do all my work that i can.

Regards
Ed Carye

my email edcarye@gmail.com
Attachments
astro dropped.JPG

Joez

Post by Joez »

Hi, are you still working on this? My name is Joe. Joedigi@aol.com
I live just over the bridge in Cedarville. I have had Numerous 10+
vans over the years. Mostly Astro's, Your Van is a duplicate of
some of mine. My current ride in progress.... has been sitting
Idle for many years.... But the project is Back on!!!
GMC Safari ... Came out of Utah 10 years ago, drove it about
a year. BAJA AWD GMC!!! Over this past Summer I have been
working on it.... I am sending it over to the Local Auto shop for
completion of a few things. (ABS Front brake lines etc.). I certainly
want it for Full use this winter! :guitar: I am a New Member here!
But also a 2% Vanner since the late 70"s. check this out!
https://thundersgarage.weebly.com/
My current Project....
20210411_164342.jpg

WoodButcher
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by WoodButcher »

Hey Joe!
Good to hear from folk willing to lend a hand. I'm a bit far for the O.P. in this case. In between Hartford and NYC on rte. 84. I'm not a wrench but have a place and tools and would do all I could to help a member. I too have had / have a few vans and a little experience so,
GLADTOMEETCHA!

Bruce
'93 Safari shorty, 350 swap
'05 Astro AWD, lifted, 6 liter, cammed, ported and programmed for fast.
'69 G10, straight 6, 3 onatree, jumped at me when I had a pocketful of cash looking for a spare astro. :)

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by MountainManJoe »

Welcome to the forum, Joe.

I should mention that it's not a great idea to post your email address on public pages. It's better to send that stuff in the private messages.
You're greatly increasing your exposure to spam, hacking, identity theft etc.