Please Verify that Soft 8 Style Steel Wheels Fit On An '04

FROM STOCK 15" STEELIES TO WILD 24" WHEELS, THEY GO HERE.

Topic author
blinkibus
I am merely driving my van

Please Verify that Soft 8 Style Steel Wheels Fit On An '04

Post by blinkibus »

Hi All,

I have been reading and digging and keeping my eyes peeled.

Of course people are running 15's, I had a set on my '93. And I recently saw a guy running 30x9.5 r 15's on steel wheels on a '99 I think. But then recently tried to fit up a set of 16" tahoe wheels that would not fit over my rear caliper so I am hesitant to pull the trigger on the 15's without a solid confirmation of the fit.

Assuming that all the 2nd generation vans have the same rear brakes, I guess the steel wheels have a thinner cross section which allows the 15 to fit over the caliper?

This is wheel I am looking at:
85 SOFT 8 Gloss Black wheels by Vision®. 15" x 7", -6 Offset, 6x139.7 Bolt Pattern, 108mm Cente

Thanks!
Current Rig - 2004 Safari AWD, 270K+, Daily Driver, Dark toreador red, coated fender flares and blacked out grille and front bumper, OLV 2" lift blocks, SD Truck Springs S10 rear springs, Airbagit -30 lift keys, KYB monomax shocks, 3.73 gears, 235/75/16's on Black American Racing AR172's, Gibson Exhaust, Rear shock mounts relocated, FF Dynamics electric cooling fans, custom cold air intake with Ebay tubes and K&N cone filter.

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Please Verify that Soft 8 Style Steel Wheels Fit On An '

Post by MountainManJoe »

I haven't tried, but if 16s didn't fit, it seems unlikely that 15" rims will.
blinkibus wrote: Of course people are running 15's ... Assuming that all the 2nd generation vans have the same rear brakes,
You know what they say about assuming right?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Astro
blinkibus wrote: I guess the steel wheels have a thinner cross section which allows the 15 to fit over the caliper?
Some came with factory mags too, so I don't think the material matters.

You can use a tool like this to give you an idea
http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp
You should read the "Wheel And Tire Information" sticky post in this section, and I see other posts with the exact same question you asked.
blinkibus wrote:This is wheel I am looking at:
85 SOFT 8 Gloss Black wheels by Vision®. 15" x 7", -6 Offset, 6x139.7 Bolt Pattern, 108mm Cente
The stock wheels have an offset of around +18mm, so -6mm has a lot less room for brakes.

I bought some beautiful alloy wheels from a guy once. They had all the right specs in the ad. I can't remember why but I had one with me as a spare one time when my tire blew out deep in the wilderness. Of course it didn't fit. The guy didn't know what he was talking about and posted the wrong info. (or was just trying to offload them)

Always test fit and don't forget to leave room for the slider.

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi,

The 03 to 05 Astro has rear disc brakes and the front disc are bigger brakes.
You need 16" or 17" rims.
You may want to find some Tahoe Z71 wheels which are 17" or late model GM 16" wheels to clear the brake caliper.

I would stay with GM OEM wheels. There is more testing and product safety in Original Equipment Manufactures , OEM, equipment.

AP

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

I have Cragar Soft eights on my 96 Safari. 15-8. I think they have 4" offset. No problem with front brake calipers.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Topic author
blinkibus

Post by blinkibus »

OK. I found a thread on the other forum that gave me the info I needed.

2003 and up vans have larger brakes that need the 16" wheels that they came with, which makes a lot of sense.
Current Rig - 2004 Safari AWD, 270K+, Daily Driver, Dark toreador red, coated fender flares and blacked out grille and front bumper, OLV 2" lift blocks, SD Truck Springs S10 rear springs, Airbagit -30 lift keys, KYB monomax shocks, 3.73 gears, 235/75/16's on Black American Racing AR172's, Gibson Exhaust, Rear shock mounts relocated, FF Dynamics electric cooling fans, custom cold air intake with Ebay tubes and K&N cone filter.