7.5 " 10 bolt Chevy 98 to 2002 rear axle

IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ON THE REAR DRIVE SHAFT OR AXLE, IT GOES HERE.

Topic author
Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

7.5 " 10 bolt Chevy 98 to 2002 rear axle

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi,

Saw a you tube video of G80 Torson type gear limited slip rear axle being OEM in Chevy Camero.
So Astro posi was Eaton with friction plates.

Supposedly, friction plates are quieter and may corner better but Torso is stronger?

I am still waiting to get 4.10 in my 2003 Astro with no231 and 2 " lift to replace 3.42 mile that I have 30" tires.

AP

Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Re: 7.5 " 10 bolt Chevy 98 to 2002 rear axle

Post by Captn. Crunch »

Astrophysics wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:02 pm Hi,

Saw a you tube video of G80 Torson type gear limited slip rear axle being OEM in Chevy Camero.
So Astro posi was Eaton with friction plates.

Supposedly, friction plates are quieter and may corner better but Torso is stronger?

AP
It seems that G80 meant different things in different vehicles. G80 in my 70 Chevelle SS was clutches and springs. G80 in a ‘90 Camaro/Firebird got you a Torsen, I’m unsure if there was an option to pick between Torsen or clutch/spring. G80 in my ‘00 BlaZr2 was the Gov-lol locker. G80 As far as I know, G80 in the A/S meant the Gov-lock unit. Please correct me if anyone has had a van with a factory limited slip of the clutch and spring variety.
Having run all three styles I prefer the Torsen. The Clutch/spring setup is tried and true. It held up to major abuse from a built 396 in the Chevelle, but it was bad when the road was slick. You really had to drive with the gas pedal as the rear end would try to pass the front end.
The Gov-lock in the Zr2 was the one I really didn’t like. I didn’t like the fact that you needed 100 rpm difference in rear wheel speeds before activation and when it did activate it did it with a bang, then disengaged at 25 mph.
The Torsen style Detroit Tru-track in my ‘99 Safari AWD is my favorite. It just works. O noises, no surprises. It adjusts constantly unlike clutch/spring units and it works at any speed unlike the Gov-loc. The only knock on the Torsen is unless you have a high biased unit like the race version, you lose traction with a wheel in the air. An issue if you’re auto crossing your Camaro and lift a wheel in a corner. Not as much of an issue off-roading in a van as a light foot on the brake pedal will fool it into thinking all wheels are in contact.
So that’s my take on it
Captn. Crunch
"I don't beat my rig-I use it to it's maximum potential"
1994 Safari conversion (sold) and miss'n it!
1999 Safari SLE AWD junked
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT
cast iron Torsen equipped front diff
S-10 leafs-G80 rear w/3.73’s
2” body lift w/Falken Wildpeak AT’s

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by MountainManJoe »

I'm pretty sure these vans only ever came with Gov-loc units.

They have a clutch pack and cam plate, so it shouldn't engage with bang if you accelerate normally. Obviously slamming on the gas is going to shock load it and it will not last very long then. It got me out of situations where a rear wheel was slipping just like it's supposed to. I didn't have any noises, bangs, or failures so no complaints here. For most overlanding it is a great unit, and hey it comes from the factory which means you don't have to spend $$$$. It has excellent road manners (unlike the ratcheting type of lockers Powertrax etc.) You can't even tell it's there. Once you're moving 20mph, you don't need axle locking any more.

Combined with AWD, the Astro is surefooted as a goat. I NEVER got stuck from loss of traction. It really excelled in the snow too. Better than part-time 4x4 systems.

Topic author
Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi,
Good info.
I hope to get 4.10 ratio to replace my 3.42 OEM, plus either a Gov loc or tru track rear
Since I have 30" tires on lifted 2003 Np231c equipped Astro

AP

Topic author
Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Gotta add photo of the Astro

AP
Attachments
Astro at KOA
Astro at KOA