Anyone running LT tires at this point?

HAVE A TIRE QUESTION? LIKE YOUR TIRES AND WANT TO LET EVERYONE KNOW? NEED TO KNOW IF THEY WILL FIT? POST IT HERE.

Topic author
Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Anyone running LT tires at this point?

Post by Herbie »

Hey, with COVID-19, we're not going anywhere, but I'm using the time to get my van prepped for another trip just as soon as we can go. On my list of stuff to refresh is tires. The current tires have plenty of tread, but are getting old. I'd need to check the date codes, but they may already be past their "expiration".

I'm currently running Yokohama Geolandar ATS in 245/70-16 (29.7"). After my switch to 4.10 gears, this size works pretty well with only tiniest hint of rubbing at full lock left (right is ok...) I've been happy with these tires overall, they're relatively lightweight, so the suspension has tolerated them well (even the front end).

However, these are P-metric tires, rated to 2094lbs each. Given that my rig is heavy (it was borderline overloaded for a while, but I've since put her on a diet to get back down under 6100lbs), I'm concerned the standard-load range tires are asking for trouble.

Is anybody running an LT tire on a straight van? (I know there are a few Tiger owners, etc. who are running E1 range LT tires.) Yokohama's newer AT G015 is available in the same P-metric size I'm running, but also in a LT225/75-16 (29.4") E-range. I've also been thinking about going tall/skinny, as they also have a LT215/85-16 (30.5") tire. I'd need to pick up one to do some test-fits, but I suspect that I could get a bit more height to work without rubbing if they were a little more skinny than my 245 tires.

Thoughts or experience?

Thanks.
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

okie1
I sleep in my van

Re: Anyone running LT tires at this point?

Post by okie1 »

I am running LT tires but have a gen1 van, so I can't help much. Good luck on finding the right tires. :supz:

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

I ran one set of LTs on my high-top and preferred them. The van wallowed a lot and the stiffer tires helped. it currently sits on a set of cheap Wal Mart A/Ts (p-metric) down in my shop, but that was because I was poor last time it needed tires. :muhaha:
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

Bret Schmerker
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Bret Schmerker »

Ye've either a 2003-up M11006 (16" rims stock) or upgrade rims. I'm currently running IRONMAN® RB-12 NWS all-seasons, 215/75R15 100S, 800kg @ 300 kPa (1764# @ 44 PSI), purchased in two stages at Tred Shed Tire Pros (Pittsburg, CA, USA); they've lighter sidewall construction than I'd like. I's actually after LT215/75R16's (for 50 PSI strength), but finances proved a constraint.
1997 GMC M11006 (Safari SLE, 2WD, V6-4300/4L60-E/7.625" 3.73:1 open)
Acquired Jul 2018 / In service Sep 2018 - Nov 2022 / down due leaky valve(s) #5 cyl.

Topic author
Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

Correct that I've got a 2003+ van with OEM 16's.

I still want to try some experiments with a taller/skinnier tire, but the current retail situation makes it much harder to order and trial-fit one tire. I've been watching craigslist to see if I can spot somebody offloading a used 215/85-16 that I can at least use for fit-up tests.
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior

Topic author
Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

Well, I'm getting close to decision time. Given how hard it would be (during COVID) to experiment with different tire fitments (due to how the local tire shops are working on a basically "no-contact" model), I've decided to forgo trying for the "pizza cutter" 85-series tires right now.

I will stick to 245/70-16 as it's a common size with a lot of choices and I know the size works well for my van. So I'm still on the fence with regards to LT vs. P-metric tires, though.

As I said, I've had good luck from the Passenger version of our Yoko Geolandar tires. I personally believe that the relative light-weight of those (~35lbs) has contributed to the good luck I've had with front-end suspension parts thus far. On recommendation from several sources, I am still considering an LT tire, but I also worry that going to a massively heavier construction is going to be what pushes me into front-end issues.

Looking at my options, I've narrowed it down to a few choices:

1) Continue with the lighter P-tires like the new version of the Geolandar, ~35lbs per corner (load range ~2094 lbs/tire)
2) Step up to an XL-rated passenger tire, there are a few choices in the ~37-38lbs range (load range ~2400 lbs/tire) (Hankook Dynapro AT2, Khumo A/T 51)
3) Go all the way to an E-rated LT tire, but as light as I can find. Coincidentally, the LT version of the Geolandar, at 43lbs per corner

It's wild to me that there's such a huge difference in the load range for the two constructions of the Geolandar, but since I doubt I'd really be running at 80psi, the real difference is going to be in the "toughness".

I'm leaning to option 2 and going w/ an XL rated P-tire at the moment. Fully loaded, we're very near the 6100lb GVWR, but our "off-road" use is mostly dirt track and forest road, with the occasional bit of granite or shale. I feel like maybe I can't justify the weight penalty of an LT tire since the passenger ones never let me down?

Thoughts?

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by MountainManJoe »

If you travel forest roads then go for LTs. One shredded tire will be enough to change your mind. I've seen enough seemingly innocent rocks end a trip to convince me.