Engine Cover Removal (1991-1995)

General technical discussion and troubleshooting

Topic author
MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Engine Cover Removal (1991-1995)

Post by MountainManJoe »

I found this write-up in the archives. It is originally written by Justice.

Topic author
MountainManJoe

Re: Engine Cover Removal (1991-1995)

Post by MountainManJoe »

Dog house removal - 1992 Astro Van
(also applies to 1991 - 1995 Astro and Safari Vans)

When doing any kind of engine work on an Astro/Safari van, one of the basic things that comes into play if you need to access the back of the engine is the removal of the doghouse. Here is a simple guide to help you with the process.

Tools needed.
  • 1/4" ratchet with 3" extension
  • 10mm and 7 mm sockets
  • 3/8" or 1/2" socket with two long extensions
  • 15mm socket.
All of the above tools I used came from my CHANNEL LOCK 169 PIECE MECHANIC'S TOOL SET

All right, lets get started.

First, if you are wondering what the "doghouse" is, it is commonly known as the engine cover. The first step will be to remove the cup holders and glove box.
IMG_0415.JPG

Under the front of the glove box there are two 10mm nuts that hold the base of the assembly in place.
IMG_0417.JPG

Use the 1/4" ratchet with the extension to easily remove these two nuts
IMG_0418.JPG

Just under the dash on each side of the glove box there is a 7mm screw holding the assembly to the dash frame. once again use the 1/4" ratchet to remove these screws.
IMG_0419.JPG

At this point you will need to carefully list the glove box from the bottom by pulling it out and then up to separate it from the dash frame. Be careful not to pull to hard. Once you have it loose, carefully disconnect the the plug for the cigarette lighter . Once that is done you can lift the glove box out of the way.
IMG_0420.JPG

Next you will need to remove the heater vent tube. It lifts from the bottom and then slides out from the dash.
IMG_0421.JPG

Topic author
MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

Next, release the clamps at the base of the engine cover.
IMG_0424.JPG

Then lossen this brace on the upper right of the cover.
IMG_0425.JPG

the nuts are 10mm so use the 1/4" ratchet.
IMG_0426.JPG

You can completely remove the brace or simply swing it out of the way as shown below.
IMG_0427.JPG

Next you will need the 15mm socket and the larger ratchet with the extensions. The extensions are needed to reach the bolts on either sode of the engine cover that secure it to the fire wall.
IMG_0428.JPG

Topic author
MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

Loosen one side until the bolt spins freely. The bolts are attached to the cover and do not come all the way out.
IMG_0430.JPG

Repeat for the second side. You may need a flashlight to see exactly where the bolts are.
IMG_0431.JPG

Lift the bottom of the cover to break it loose from the chassis. Be VERY careful, there are sharp edges around the engine bay where the cover attaches.
IMG_0434.JPG

Once you have the cover loose, slide it straight back towards the seats. (you may want to move the seats back as far as possible to have more room) Once you have it back, tilt the cover back so that the top clears the bottom of the dash and then lift the cover out.
IMG_0435.JPG

Congratulations! You just removed the doghouse and have access to the back of the engine.
IMG_0436.JPG

To reinstall the doghouse, simply reverse the process shown above. The most difficult pasrt is getting the cover seated properly when reinstalling. Take your time and work it in and it will fall into place. be carefull not to pinch any wires when putting the cover back. Once it is in place, reinstalling the rest is very simple.

okie1
I sleep in my van

Post by okie1 »

Very good write up, this will help others.