Battery Relocation

General technical discussion and troubleshooting

Topic author
macsveen
I am merely driving my van

Battery Relocation

Post by macsveen »

Hey there, I'm starting to convert my daily driver into a stealth camper.

The first thing that I want to do is wiring stuff. I want to install a huge 950cca battery in the rear, under the floor, next to the spare tire.

My question is ....... can I just connect the OEM cables to the new 1/0 ga wires and call it done? Will I burn up the charge wire that runs from my alternator to the starter? Will I burn up the OEM cables?

Thanks, C. J.

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Battery Relocation

Post by MountainManJoe »

what is the battery for?

Topic author
macsveen

Post by macsveen »

Hello, I will be using it for everything. Starting, deep cycle, fans and lights, inverter, solar charging, etc. etc.

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi,

Good idea. I have been also think of locating starter battery in rear of my 2003 AWD Astro. This could get 30 or 40 lbs off the front axle so I could put 70 lbs WARN winch on front bumper.

BMW 528i has battery in trunk on right side to get better weight distribution. They run long wires to engine compartment, and also don’t forget to have an extra point under the hood to connect jumper cable to the Red +12 VDC.

AP

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

Best practice is that you leave your original battery alone, and add an auxiliary battery & separator for use while parked. You need to look for capacity (Ah), not cranking amps (CCA). Group 16 is one of largest common 12V deep cycle battery you will find, with around 115 Ah max. For just fans & lights, that should be enough. Since you want solar as well, you might as well go for a full featured battery charge controller/solar controller/separator in one unit.

You could run a cable from the alternator, upfitter stud in fuse block, starting battery, or starter, depending what ends up being convenient/closest to the aux battery. Battery charging current is not crazy high, so with 1/0 cables you shouldn't have to worry about overloading them.

auxiliary battery

Topic author
macsveen

Post by macsveen »

Thanks MMJ, I was looking at the 95rplt from O'Reilly. It's a starting and deep cycle AGM battery with 105ah.

Renogy makes a 30a thingy that sounds like what you are talking about.

https://www.renogy.com/dcc30s-12v-30a-d ... with-mppt/

The thing that I keep worrying about is cable length and size. Is there a limit?

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

I would not be moving my starter battery further away from the starter. I would also not be messing with the factory system. Leave them separate or you will have issues.

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi Mt Man,

Your ideas make good sense. The Optima starter battery in my 2003 Astro is compact and not really that heavy. I will leave as is.
If I really want a winch, I will put rear hitch mount winch tray and some quick connect winch cables to a rear mounted Aux battery.

Thank you,

AP