Torsion bars needed source???

FROM FIBERGLASS MONOLEAFS TO AIR BAGS, STOCK HEIGHT TO BODY SLAMMED, EVERYTHING EXCEPT LIFTS GO HERE.

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Re: Torsion bars needed source???

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi,

Spoke with Timbren rep today.
The AWD Astro front PN is GM FAST4.
It is 2 3/4" tall. The pair of Timbrens together has 1300 lbs total spring rate.
So 650 lbs per side . This should help with the winch and heavy brush guard.
The 2 wheel drive Astro with front coil spring can be fitted with TBI GMFAST which is 4 " tall and has total weight rating of 2400 lbs, which is 1200 per side.

AP

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Howdy,

I ordered the front Timbrens from Summit Racing for my 2003 AWD Astro.

AP

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

Can't wait to see it!
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Howdy,

1. Still waiting for delivery date on the AWD front Timbrens, PN GMFAST4.

2. Rear parking brake adjustment on 2003 with rear disc. Adjusting the cable turn buckle does not hold the tension. Most You Tube Videos show pull rear wheels and caliper and rotor and adjusting the inner wheel to expand brake shows. Next weekend project.

3.. even though cables have stretched, why change them? Just do adjust at wheels.

AP

AP

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Astro
Attachments
Extra mounting straps for front bumper
Extra mounting straps for front bumper

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

Astrophysics wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:36 pm 1. Still waiting for delivery date on the AWD front Timbrens, PN GMFAST4.
Get yours yet?

I went ahead and ordered a set but MAN the delivery lead times are Loooooong. I don't expect to see mine until late October or early November.
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi Herbie,

Summit Racing just updated my Timbren order status today. Shipped from Timbren in Canada. Due to arrive=ve in CA in 1 to 6 days.

I am very anxious to install them.

I will post again.

Got to try Low Range and the 4.10s on a dirt hill last week end. The Astro still feels heavy and slow. The 2003 4.3 motor new had 190 hp, but with 5400 lbs it would be nice to have 250 hp .

AP

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi Herbie,

Today I got a phone call from Brian at Sway Away in San Fernando Valley to discuss Astro torsion bars.
I had suggested to him that he also call Mike at JOR Journeys Off Road to see if JOR could market and assist with the design perhaps of the 15 % stronger torsion bars with splines (28 splits estimated?0 instead of just 6 sided hex at the adjustment key.

Sway Away had developed firmer torsion bars for Chevy trucks and learned that it was at times not possible to set proper ride height with just 6 sided hex end at adjustment key.

JOR has created lots of good Astro off road stuff and the torsion bar would be a good addition to product line.

The next time I Jack up front end of my 2003 Astro, I will take more photos and dimensions of torsion bars.
My Chubby Checker Chevy AWD Astro needs to "Do the Twist". The torsion bar twist.

AP

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Howdy,

The front Timbrens arrived today by UPS.

Nice firm rubber, plan to install them Sunday.

AP

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Howdy,

Installed front Timbrens on 2003 Chevy AWD Astro today. Block rear wheels, set parking brake. I used 2 ton floor Jack to raise front end by lifting at center of cross member, then installed Jack stands as backup. With 2800 lbs up front on my heavy Astro, the Jack struggled a bit. Wow, need a 3 or 4 ton Jack.
OEM Chevy bump stop is 1 5/8" high and Timbren is 2 3/4" high so it will easily fill the 5/8" gap on my heavy Chevy. See photo of installed Timbren showing contact with lower control arm.
The OEM bump stop was secured with M10 coarse thread stud and nut needed 15 mm socket to remove, retrieve nut with magnet.
The kit arrived with grade 5 bolts, nylon lock nuts and split lock washers. The factory sent me 3/8-NF x2 inch hex bolts and NC nuts. So I used my own grade 8 hex bolts instead, 3/8 NC x 2 inch + lock washer and regular hex nut instead of nylon lock nut . I did apply Loctite to threads of hex nut.
1. With front end suspended, un clip plastic push rivets from inner fender to get access to bump stop,
2,for drivers side turn tire to the right full lock to improve access,].
3. Remove old bump stop with 15mm deep socket from top access hole in frame , and retrieve hex nut with magnet.’
4 prep new Timbren, insert 2 inch long 3/8 bolt and secure it with plastic washer so bolt won’t fall out.
5. Plan to use a 1/4 " drive mini ratchet and 9/16" deep socket at bottom of Timbre.
6. Place socket in Bolton of Timbren and raise Timbren into position with the bolt going through OEM hole in frame and wedge some cardboard under the lower ratchet to keep it snug.
7. Use small magnet pencil shaped, to grasp the split ring washer and carefully lower it into the top access hole and fit it onto the threads of bolt.
8. Use 9/16 regular socket which is stuffed with blue masking tape to grasp the hex nut into socket so it won’t drop out before 1st threads are engaged. Don’t forget to put a bit of blue loctite in nut . I prefer grade 8 nuts plus loctite over grade 5 nylon lock nuts.
9. Once the nut is started, switch to a deep socket at top and tighten the nut securely while holding lower bolt head with the 1/4" ratchet and its deep socket.

Tool s needed:
A. 15 mm deep socket and 3/8 drive Rachet to remove OEM bump stops
B. Blue loctite and 2 each plastic 3/8" retainer washers to secure the 2" long bolt in the Timbren. I will email the manufacturers to recommend that they include 2 of these plastic retainer washers in their kit.
C. 1/4 drive rachet and 9/16 deep socket for the limited access at bottom of the hollow Timbren
D. Pen shaped magnet to retrieve OEM nut, and to install new split ring lock washer.
E. 9/16 regular socket and blue painters tape to secure new hex nut for insertion from top access hole in frame.
F. 3/8 drive rachet for operations on top end of Timbren.
G. 9/16 deep socket to run down the new nut onto the 2" long 3/8" bolt from top access hole in frame.’

See photos.

I will test drive Monday or Tuesday.

AP
Attachments
Timbren install
Timbren install
Timbren install tools
Timbren install tools
Timbren hints
Timbren hints
Timbren plastic retainer washer is recommended
Timbren plastic retainer washer is recommended

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

More Timbren install photos
Attachments
T install 1
T install 1
T install 2
T install 2
T install 3
T install 3
T install 4
T install 4
T install 5
T install 5

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi,

Timbren installed on 2003 AWD Astro.
Yes, it is in contact with lower control arm. It adds a bit of spring rate.
See photo.

AP
Attachments
Front AWD Astro with Timbren GMFast4 rubber
Front AWD Astro with Timbren GMFast4 rubber

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by MountainManJoe »

Those rubber pucks don't sit quite right, do they.

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

MountainManJoe wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:33 am Those rubber pucks don't sit quite right, do they.
Yeah, I was thinking the same. I've got my set on-order, but that's a little disappointing.

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi,

The Timbrens work well!
The increased spring rate is noticeable and I am happy with them.
I did a dirt road today, and some freeway and street.

Yes the Timbren is a bit offset but that actually allows part of the surface arc of the hollow cone to impact nicely with the contour ridge of the lower control arm.

To center the Timbren we could drill a new hole in the upper frame for the 3/8" bolt and a new access hole to fit the socket.

It was amazing how the 2 3/4" thick Timbren filled the gap and engages with smooth action.

For $260 these days, it was a great addition to Astro.

With a bit more metal fabrication work, one could modify the frame above the control arm and weld in a perch for a coil spring.

I may send photo to Mike at JOR, Journeys Off Road and see if they could have a look at fitting a coil Then a proper bump stop would be added back.

AP