What is correct front axle clearance

ANYTHING TO DO WITH MAKING YOUR VAN MOVE EXCEPT FOR THE ENGINE ITSELF.

Topic author
Gio1967
I am merely driving my van

What is correct front axle clearance

Post by Gio1967 »

I recently had a used transmission installed by a incompetent mechanic that decided to try to use spacers under my transfer case and grind down my front drive shaft all basically because he did not transfer the transfer plate off my old transmission so transfer case is mounted with oil drain in wrong position, and I guess that caused things to rub so he used lug nuts under transfer case to create space plus grinned front drive shaft with grinding wheel.

This some how caused front engine lower pulley to come in contact with steering crossbars link
when I showed him that the front pulley was grinding away he lowered my front torsion bars to compensate. I bought van with torsion bars cranked up and rear lifted too and never had a problem.

I am posting a few pictures, trying to see if there is normally space between front axle and front oil pan, on mine it looks like engine weight is resting on front axle.

http://yorkpennsylvania.net/astro/images
Attachments
8.jpg
3.jpg
IMG_20220518_150412611.jpg
IMG_20220519_153228594.jpg
IMG_20220518_150352625.jpg

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Transmission swap

Post by MountainManJoe »

Yup there should definitely be a few inches there. This guy should not be allowed to go anywhere near cars. He's going to kill people, if he hasn't already.

I'm moving your question out of the "Engine" section and into driveline.

Topic author
Gio1967

Re: What is correct front axle clearance

Post by Gio1967 »

had someone send me a picture and it looked like pan rests on front axle on his too?

WoodButcher
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by WoodButcher »

Bad motor mounts in my '05 cause that issue. Fact that is a 6 liter might have a little cause in that problem too, lol. I'll change the rubbers for poly mounts and put a 1/2" plate under them.
No, there should be clearance there. Find a new wrench!
'93 Safari shorty, 350 swap
'05 Astro AWD, lifted, 6 liter, cammed, ported and programmed for fast.
'69 G10, straight 6, 3 onatree, jumped at me when I had a pocketful of cash looking for a spare astro. :)

Topic author
Gio1967

Post by Gio1967 »

had a third person send me picture looks same too, pan right on top of front axle. If I could post them on here I would but I did not figure it out yet
Attachments
someone I don't know 1 oil pan to axle
someone I don't know 1 oil pan to axle
someone I don't know2 oip pan to axile
someone I don't know2 oip pan to axile

WoodButcher
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by WoodButcher »

It is not uncommon, the newest astro is 17 years old. find one with new motor mounts and you will have clearance.
My '05 when it was built in 2015, granted it's a 6.0 ls swap, lq4 steel block not an aluminum block (add 100 lbs).
The motor was lifted 2" to get the small bit of clearance you see in the second pic. Now 6-7 years later the mounts are worn and the clearance is gone. I need to switch to poly mounts.
regardless of how many pics you see with no clearance it is wrong, not stock, broken, needs repair. Period.
MOTOR MOUNT.jpg
clearance over the diff.jpg
'69 G10, straight 6, 3 onatree, jumped at me when I had a pocketful of cash looking for a spare astro. :)

Topic author
Gio1967

Post by Gio1967 »

well my problem got worse today, my reverse went out completely, still have forward gears, not sure about over drive.

I am in process of trying to buy a used transmission with only 10,000 miles on it.

The mechanic referenced making sure its the right transmission for my Astro its a 02 4l60e From Tahoe 4WD

any way of knowing if everything is a match?

WoodButcher
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by WoodButcher »

Yes, unfortunately I'm unfamiliar with the AWD systems. I did not build my '05.
The 4wd TC and transmission from the tahoe may be able to swap in. I built my '93 and know that between the v8 / v6 transmision 4l60e 2WD were interchangeable.
I've read in the forums about TC swaps in order to get 4wd capability so that may be a possibility. Search for transfer case swap. Hopefully someone will see this with more knowledge on the subject than me, good luck!