2000 Chevy Astrovan makes clunking sound when braking and suddenly jerks

FROM STOCK TO WILD, BRAKE ISSUES AND UPGRADES GO HERE.

Topic author
IsaacMraz
I am merely driving my van

2000 Chevy Astrovan makes clunking sound when braking and suddenly jerks

Post by IsaacMraz »

recently bought a 2000 AWD Chevy Astro van for the snow and have gotten a lot of work done on it including new brakes and rotors, alignment, control arms, tires, a 2 inch lift and a few weeks ago I left the van with the e brake on for about three days. When I went to drive it the brakes started clunking and suddenly stopping and jerking, sometimes very dangerously and super annoying. I brought it to the mechanic who did the brakes and asked him to take a look. We ended up replacing the ABS module (as the brake/ABS lights used to go on and off from time to time too) and that solved it for about 2 hours and then the brake clunking (as in the pedal actually clunks) and the jerking returned. I've brought it to two different mechanics now (I lived in Orange County, CA and now near Big Bear, CA) and nobody can seen to figure out the issue. I'm nervous to drive it now. It sometimes happens and sometimes doesn't even in a period of five minutes or two hours. It almost feels like it wants to lock up but it doesn't seem to do it. But it jerks and suddenly stops sometimes and other times I press the brake pedal and it's smooth as butter. Any advice or suggestions I will be eternally grateful. Thank you and hope you, your family, and friends are well

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: 2000 Chevy Astrovan makes clunking sound when braking and suddenly jerks

Post by MountainManJoe »

Hi Isaac. Welcome to the forum.

I don't know why you posted the same thing 4 different times , in 3 forum sections (none of which were the correct section). Please don't do that. Once is enough. Thanks. I'll clean it up for you this time, and move it to the right place.

Anyway, sounds like you have ABS malfunction. Common problem. Replace the wheel speed sensors.

Topic author
IsaacMraz

Post by IsaacMraz »

Okay. Thank you. I didn't mean to do that. I was confused with the site. I appreciate your response and feedback.

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by MountainManJoe »

No problem.
If you're ever confused about something on the site you can just ask.