General technical discussion and troubleshooting

Topic author
aliaj00
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Hi Guys newbie here needs help

Post by aliaj00 »

Hi Guys,

I want to gift my brother a gmc Savana, but so far for my money I have only found cargo vans with right side door window and no second raw seat. Can I install a left side window and a second raw seat so he can register it a passenger. He got a new job and it will be a gift for him

Tim

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Hi Guys newbie here needs help

Post by MountainManJoe »

welcome to the forum, Tim

Window vans have structural reinforcement around the windows and along the whole wall. Retrofitting would involve a fair bit of fabrication work.
If the van has seat rails, and you find seats from the same year, then of course you can pop them in. Otherwise ... again lots of work
Don't forget you need seatbelt anchor points too. And you probably still won't be able to register it as a passenger van without some kind of certification.

All in all, I really doubt it's worth going this route. Seems much easier to just wait for a passenger model to come along. I searched for at least a year before I found the van I wanted.

Bret Schmerker
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: Hi Guys newbie here needs help

Post by Bret Schmerker »

I's on the market for a new minivan six years ago, got a GMC M11006 (Safari SLE) passenger wagon rather than a cargo vision van. (The only ones on the used market were cargo panel vans.) Wanted a cargo vision van due to a solid rather than pop-out window on the sidegate (a known weakness with passenger wagons) and pop-out windows on barn doors (I got Dutch doors and a raiser window).
1997 GMC M11006 (Safari SLE, 2WD, V6-4300/4L60-E/7.625" 3.73:1 open)
Acquired Jul 2018 / In service Sep 2018 - Nov 2022 / down due leaky valve(s) #5 cyl.