Which oil should I use

General technical discussion and troubleshooting

Topic author
Ericwest
I am merely driving my van

Which oil should I use

Post by Ericwest »

Hello everyone! I just bought a used express and could really use some advice. I know it has 5/30 viscosity oil. But do I use conventional or synthetic? What did it have when sold new? It’s a 2003 express 3500 with vortex 6.0. Any help would be greatly appreciated

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Which oil should I use

Post by MountainManJoe »

I've split off this question into a new topic since it's completely unrelated to your other one.

Picking the right oil really couldn't be any easier. Open up your owners manual to the maintenance section and find the oil specification. Then all you have to do is buy oil that meets or exceeds that specification.
If your manual was lost, download one from GM: https://experience.gm.com/support/vehic ... als-guides

Check the labels on the bottle. Look for the official API certification marks.
Focus on specifications that are actually regulated.
Do not pay attention to unregulated marketing jingo like "synthetic", "high mileage", and so on. They're lies.
Brand does not matter. The most important thing is making sure the oil is full, and changing it every year or 5,000 miles whichever comes first.

unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (69.58 KiB) Viewed 186 times
attached: API engine oil guide
Motor Oil Guide 1020.pdf
(2.04 MiB) Downloaded 13 times

Topic author
Ericwest

Post by Ericwest »

Yea. Was curious because some say using synthetic in a van that previously had conventional oil will cause oil leaks. I have the manual. Searched high and low for oil specs. I will download another. Thanks for your help

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by MountainManJoe »

Ericwest wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:39 pm some say using synthetic in a van that previously had conventional oil will cause oil leaks.
Nonsense. So called "synthetic" oil will be just fine in your van. You don't need to worry.

Ericwest wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:39 pm Searched high and low for oil specs.
Should be under Service and Appearance Care > Checking Things Under the Hood > Engine Oil