General technical discussion and troubleshooting

Topic author
andyrud
I am merely driving my van

100,000 checkup

Post by andyrud »

Hi Guys,
I have a 2002 Tiger RV on an Astro van. We go all over the USA in it and it has reached 100,000 miles. So, is there any things I should change or check after this many miles? I do normal maintenance but if there is any things you would replace or check I would really appreciate your advice. I got stuck in a national forest once and it was a bitch. So I want to make sure I have replaced or checked everything. Please let me have your input.

Thanks in advance,
Andy R

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: 100,000 checkup

Post by MountainManJoe »

Hi and welcome to the forum.
Check the usual stuff. Spark plugs, grease points, transmission fluid, suspension joints, bushing, shocks. Steering. Brake fluid and coolant, so on and so forth. If this is all new to you, then you may want to let a mechanic give it a once over.

Topic author
andyrud

Post by andyrud »

Thanks for the reply. Everything you mentioned is going to be checked. I guess I wanted to know if any unusual things or large things that should be looked at. I understand that there is a chain in the transfer case, anything should be done with it? Things like that that are not part of usual maintenance.
Again, thanks for the reply and help,
Andy R

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by MountainManJoe »

No, just change the transfer case fluid regularly.

Idler arms tend to wear out on these vans.

Both are AWD only

WoodButcher
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by WoodButcher »

Like Joe said, maintain. Use the right fluids. The transfer case can be picky.
Flush the cooling system, use whatever antifreeze you like but don't mix n' match. I like the green but astro came with dexfool. DON"'T mix anything with this but new dexcool. I don't care if the bottle says "universal" or says it mixes, DON'T do it!
I got a van for cheap that was overheating, it was dexfool sludge. I flushed with chemicals, dishwasher detergent, replaced the radiator then flushed again till it finally came clean.
Look for leaks at the lower intake manifold gasket, pay attention to the coolant level. If it is something that needs to be topped off frequently, find the leak. The LIM is a common failure along with the water pump at higher mileage, one fails do both.
Unlike many newer vehicles there is no "change the timing belt at 75k or you'll be buying an engine at 80,000" Someone said that to my kid about his subaru, to his dismay they were right. $4,500 later,,,
Good travels!
'93 Safari shorty, 350 swap
'05 Astro AWD, lifted, 6 liter, cammed, ported and programmed for fast.
'93 cargo, work in progress