Who Is Going To Be First??.Diesel Conversion.

GOT THE URGE FOR BLOWING BLACK SMOKE, NEED TOWING POWER, OR JUST WANT GREAT FUEL ECONOMY? POST UP YOUR DIESEL SWAP QUESTIONS HERE.

Topic author
GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Who Is Going To Be First??.Diesel Conversion.

Post by GEJ »

I have read in a number of posts about guys being interested in swapping in a diesel in a Astro/Safari.The real question is who is going to be first to have one complete??.So guys,where are you folks with this conversion??.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Who Is Going To Be First??.Diesel Conversion.

Post by potskie »

The real question here is who can afford one and wants one. I know if I had the cashola to plop down on a 3.9 4BT I'd be driving a diesel safari already. Gotta remember a diesel costs more than a gas engine. Like a stock 350 around here is pocket change (200 -750) in comparison with a 4BT which is enough (around here I've seen em in the 1700-3500 range depending on hours) that you could buy a whole van for the price of one.Not to mention the Trans adaptor and possible a new trans because the older 4BTs are completely mechanical they need a single 12V on the fuel pump to keep running aside form the starter obviously.
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Yup....my holdout is cash! You buy it Gary and I'll install it.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
GEJ

Post by GEJ »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:Yup....my holdout is cash! You buy it Gary and I'll install it.
I remember a does it fit posting.Seems he was close.The first one is always the hardest and then folks find ways to do it cheaper and cheaper.

Me buying anything right now is like -0- chance.Money is tied up in a dragster for this season and the projects you know about already.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

Seeing the post with all the donor truck makes me wish I had money. I'd love to do it.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

dafrogtoad
I get chills without my van.

Post by dafrogtoad »

Didn't Overland Vans do a 4BT3.9 Cummins swap?
350 hp full roller SBC
Vortec iron heads
Modded TBI, 65 inj. Aeromotove Fuel reg. Speckter/K&N filter
4 core rad. Stewart WP
Heddmans, Dynomax Ultra Flo X
Tach
Alpine
Lund Moon Visor

ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

As far as I know they haven't got past talking about it.
Aaron

1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump

Seabee
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by Seabee »

6.2 DOES FIT ran out of money need a transmission

RickU
I am smitten with my van

Post by RickU »

I'm tring to figure out how to fit the "Wartsila-Sulzer RTA96-C turbocharged two-stroke diesel" in. I'll keep ya posted.
1997 GMC Safari AWD 4" Lift, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, Eaton G80 locker w/3.73 gears, Moog Steering, Rancho up front, Monroe Air in back, Gm 1 ton 4x4 calipers more to come...To see a pic of my new V8 hold down Alt+F4

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

RickU wrote:I'm tring to figure out how to fit the "Wartsila-Sulzer RTA96-C turbocharged two-stroke diesel" in. I'll keep ya posted.
That 2300 TON bohemuth?

Topic author
GEJ

Post by GEJ »

potskie wrote:
RickU wrote:I'm tring to figure out how to fit the "Wartsila-Sulzer RTA96-C turbocharged two-stroke diesel" in. I'll keep ya posted.
That 2300 TON bohemuth?

I don't think either one of you are in the running to be the first one. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :muhaha: :muhaha:
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

sorry if this is off topic.

what ever happened to propane? there was a point that all taxi's, limo's, 90% of all Canadian Military vehcicles all used to be running duel fuel (gas/propane) if not full propane.

Diesel is more expensive than regular, yes you get more miles but still... every cent the oil prices go up so does the diesel.
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

Ah, but you are looking at the purchase price of diesel. The beauty thing about diesels is that they can run on filtered waste vegetable oil. You can literally raid the bins behind food joints for fuel.
Aaron

Someone
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Someone »

Propane and hydrogen both have the same fault. a 50 liter tank will get you 5 times farther on gasoline because they can not make containers strong enough to compress the hydrogen enough, currenly the tanks can hold close to 25000lbs of pressure but to be able to get as much mileage as you would out of a tank of gas of the same volume you would need a container that could hold over 100,000psi.

that is why you usually see propane conversions done to vans and busses and bigger vehicles as they can fit more tanks to make the range reasonable.

other than that either one works great. Hydrogen would be the optimal choice as with a small investment you can make your own... hopefully pretty soon on the fly. to run either of these fuels you have little modification, you just inject the propane/hydrogen directly into the intake, and have wide open air flow. you regulate the rpm with fuel supply. you also need to advance your timing as these fuels burn much faster and more efficiantly. on your gasoline motor your spark fires as the piston is still on its way up giving the gasoline time to ignite, so when it is at its peak combustion it pushes the cylinder back down. with the propane you have your timing almost right at top dead center because it ignites much faster. If you are running a blend you set it somewhere in the middle.

the closer you can get your injector to the intake valves the better. you can do a small experiment (at your own risk of course) with a BBQ tank and a lawnmower engine, just take the carburator right off and run a small line as far into the intake as possibe. regulate your throttle with the tank valve, or even better would be to have a valve somewhere in your fuel line. I forget how to adjust the timing on a twostroke at the moment but you can look this up in google if you really want to do it. :D
'98 Mercedes E300 Turbo Diesel
'89 4Runner SAS'ed, 38.5SX's, Mercedes OM617 Turbo Diesel
'98 Suburban K2500, Cummins 24Valve, 5spd 4x4
'03 VW Jetta TDI
'78 Vette 350 4spd

www.vehiclefleetsolutions.ca

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

ihatemybike wrote:Ah, but you are looking at the purchase price of diesel. The beauty thing about diesels is that they can run on filtered waste vegetable oil. You can literally raid the bins behind food joints for fuel.
That's why I want another diesel. I have no problems equipping the fuel tank with a warmer to prevent gelling if it means I will only have to buy fuel while away from town. Especially since my sister works for MC donalds. AKA I don't even have to do leg work to get waste veg oil :yawinkle: