New member from Chicago area.

Introduce yourself
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
RickU
I am smitten with my van

New member from Chicago area.

Post by RickU »

I bought my Safari the day before Thanksgiving '07 in Kalamazoo, MI. In Dec.. I added a bunch of upgrades.
I started out just doing a brake job and tires, but while searching the internet for the biggest tires I could put on my stock truck I found astrosafari.com. I saw all the cool things people where doing and I was hooked. I notice a lot of the same member names here, so I guess I'll be settling in here.
While giving the van a once over of changing all the fluids and giving it a general lookover. I noticed it needed a right lower ball joint, so I decided to change all of them. Also the idler arms wher a little sloppy so I decided to change them. So I figured it's got 100,000 miles I might as well do the tie rods and drag link or whatever that bar is called that goes from the steering arm to the center link. I used all Moog pieces. I also put in a new front sway bar and links, because mine was cracked at the ends. I figure now it needs a lift so I put in a 2" sub frame lift and new indexed torsion keys so I could crank up the bars. I put taller shackles in the rear and added a leaf with air shocks in the rear and rancho's up front. I put on Cragar wheels and BFG A/T's 31 x 10.5's. I've bought a rear sway bar kit and a TranGo shift kit & corvette servo which I haven't had time to install yet. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for the right V8 deal, because that's up next.
Here's some clickable pics.
That's the before
That's lifted
That's lifted with tires and wheels.
Last edited by RickU on Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1997 GMC Safari AWD 4" Lift, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, Eaton G80 locker w/3.73 gears, Moog Steering, Rancho up front, Monroe Air in back, Gm 1 ton 4x4 calipers more to come...To see a pic of my new V8 hold down Alt+F4

GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: New member from Chicago area.

Post by GEJ »

Welcome RickU,

Keep the posts coming.Lots of folks here to help.Don't be afraid to post any questions.Might want to do a search in the how to section to see if the subject in question has already been covered.Good looking van,looking forward to the progress you make on it.

Gary.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

Topic author
RickU
I am smitten with my van

Post by RickU »

Thanks Gary.
1997 GMC Safari AWD 4" Lift, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, Eaton G80 locker w/3.73 gears, Moog Steering, Rancho up front, Monroe Air in back, Gm 1 ton 4x4 calipers more to come...To see a pic of my new V8 hold down Alt+F4

WVKayaker
I sleep in my van

Post by WVKayaker »

Great before and after pics! Look how silly it looks lifted with the stock tires!
Thanks for sharing and keep us updated. We drool over stuff like this.
And welcome!
1999 AWD Astro purchased January 2007
2" Overland Vans Lift Kit, Add-a-Leaf, Shackles, Torsion Bars Cranked 1"
AGM Deep Cycle Marine Battery w/Isolator
Helwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar
Auburn Gear Pro Series Limited-Slip Differential
BFG AT KO 235/75/15
Cragar Nomad I Wheels

Dearly Departed 1990 RWD Shorty owned since day one.
Sold Feb 2007 with 193k miles.

Southern
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Southern »

Welcome RickU!

You sure don't waste any time doing mods to your van. The moog part should last the life of your van. Any idea on what size V8 you want to put in your Astro?
92 Astro Conversion Van 2WD
Vin Z Engine
Eaton Posi

Topic author
RickU
I am smitten with my van

Post by RickU »

I'm looking at the L31 VIN code R 5.7L from 1996-2002, but it has that weak Central Sequential Fuel Injection system which probably what attributes to it's weak output numbers. 255 HP & 330 ft/lbs of torque. I've read of a MFI replacement system for this, but I don't think it can give performance gains just reliability improvements. If anyone has any information about improving these motors HP, but retaining the PCM (no carb) would be greatly appreciated. My state checks the obd II and it must be functioning with no error codes.

If I can't somehow make that setup work my second choice is a Gen III LQ4 VIN code U 6.0L from 2000- ? which would entail a lot more hassles, but creates 300-325 HP & 360-370 ft/lbs. of torque. That's about the limits of the 4L60E.

The 5.7 would fit the easiest, but gaining only 65 HP & 65 ft/lbs. of torque doesn't make sense. So right now I'll keep searching till I find a solution that allows me to keep all my systems operational, and gets me in the area of 100 HP 100ft/lbs. of torque that I'm looking for.

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by ihatemybike »

Sweet van!

Which Chicago burb you from?
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

TheChopFather
Retired
Retired

Post by TheChopFather »

Sweet Lifted Van!
welcome aboard and another member of the lifted Astro/safari society lol
I love those beedlocks :heart: :heart: :heart:
ISN'T HE SO SEXY IN HIS PRETTY WHITE DRESS???LOL

Jboy2
I sleep in my van

Post by Jboy2 »

Woah....Sweet van
I like the way it looks =P~
1991 Chevy Astro Extended- Stock 4.3

Topic author
RickU
I am smitten with my van

Post by RickU »

ihatemybike wrote:Sweet van!

Which Chicago burb you from?
Thanks, Arlington heights

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

If I didn't know better, I'd have thought you'd bought BLAZER's truck. Awesome! It's a got a "don't you dare dick with me" look. No chromey bling bling, yet pretty at the same time. Looks great :supz:
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
RickU
I am smitten with my van

Post by RickU »

Thanks Peter, now I just need to get some power under the hood.

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

I'm comin' over, GM catalogue in hand..... \:D/
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
RickU
I am smitten with my van

Post by RickU »

I see your running a Ramjet induction system and an electronic trans. Does the MEFI controller from the ramjet interface with the stock PCM at all? Or did you have to run a seperate controller for the trans. Does your obd II port still function? I need to run a setup that allows me to have a functioning obd II port with no error codes. So please bring your catalog and help answer my questions. ](*,)

Topic author
RickU
I am smitten with my van

Post by RickU »

OK, I reread your swap thread and that answers some of my questions. You did need a trans controller and you got the OEM computer to function just not as a PCM, but what happens when you hook a scan tool to the obd II port? Does it puke up a crap load of error codes? :vom: