Rack & PInion Install

ANYTHING TO DO WITH STEERING, FROM STOCK TO RACK AND PINION UPGRADES

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Rack & PInion Install

Post by Smiliesafari »

Stan, I just looked at your Photobucket album. Very nice install. That's a very clever way of attaching the power steering hoses to the rack conversion. This is exactly why this site is so great. Everyone is willing to share their ideas. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Topic author
Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Just looked at your Photobucket also and yep,,looks good Stan. Good stuff all the way around. Thanks for posting.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

HPbyStan
I sleep in my van

Post by HPbyStan »

Last edited by HPbyStan on Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'04 White AWD Astro cargo
'00 Astro / El Camino
'61 BSA Super Rocket
'71 BSA B50 engine in a '67 C25 250 chassis
Impossible is just a degree of difficulty....

Topic author
Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Stan,,sorry to hear about the health issues and hope all is better with you.
When you mentioned issues with pro install,, was that bad bump steer or what and did you find your ends woud not go far enough in spindle to install cotter pin ? I had to grind spindle down about a 16th where tierod nut seats.
Hope health issues are better and let us know how you're doing.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

HPbyStan
I sleep in my van

Post by HPbyStan »

Last edited by HPbyStan on Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'00 Astro / El Camino
'61 BSA Super Rocket

Topic author
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Glad ya got it all taken care of. I thought maybe it was an issue with my dropped spindles causing the end not to go far enough in spindle. Guess Skip had to leave us the dark on at least one issue anyway. :yawinkle:
Take care of yourself Stan.

VIDEO

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

I'm glad you guys posted about having to shave the spindles. That may be particular to your vans. I had no issues with my '96. There was enough length to bolt the ends without any problems. \:D/

Topic author
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

I'm glad you guys posted about having to shave the spindles. That may be particular to your vans. I had no issues with my '96. There was enough length to bolt the ends without any problems.
:muhaha: :toimonster: Riiiiiiiiiiiight Skip. :yawinkle: Come on man,,you had to leav :yawinkle: e something for us to figure out.

VIDEO

Topic author
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

On this shaving spindle to allow tierod end to slide far enough in spindle.
Shaving the spindle arm enough for this is strickly a decision each will have to make as far as a safety issue or concern.

Stan,,have you got dropped spindles ? If so,,this could be a design difference with them only and not factory spindles.

VIDEO

HPbyStan
I sleep in my van

Post by HPbyStan »

Last edited by HPbyStan on Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'00 Astro / El Camino
'61 BSA Super Rocket

Topic author
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Ok,,so we have some issues it looks like on 89 and 98's but not 96.
Strange I think but guess there could be that much difference in factory spindle specs. and still be enough room to tighten nut and install pin. but not enough with the Voyager ends in some cases.
Sound like this is the case to you guys ?

VIDEO

HPbyStan
I sleep in my van

Post by HPbyStan »

'00 Astro / El Camino
'61 BSA Super Rocket

sfeaver
I sleep in my van

Post by sfeaver »

How is the rack holding up? I am interested in doing this on my 97, and had a couple of questions.. Does it turn as tight as it did with the steering box? And is the ratio as tight, I have an FE2 box that is about 2 1/2 turns lock to lock. Is it similar? I remember the early 90s mustangs practically needed to slide the back end around to do a U-turn, but I think they had that fixed up by then!

Thanks,
Scott

Topic author
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Rack is doing great and no problems so far. As Skip mentioned,, you'll need 6in. of travel from stop to stop. To get the 6 you'lll need to remove the internal stops on each end. Also consider some of the issues others have had with this conversion (bumpsteer) who later removed rack and re-installed factory steering set up.

VIDEO

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

The rack in my '96 Safari has given me NO problems. It's been in the van for several years. And many, many miles. No bumpsteer and no leaks and no problems. This is not a conversion for anyone who does not have the proper skills. It must be done right. The '98 Mustang rack has 2 1/2 turns lock to lock. The turning radius is limited to the stops on the steering knuckles. You must remove the travel limiters on the rack to get the full travel necessary for full lock to lock. \:D/ I have a printed instruction sheet for the conversion. If you would like one send me a PM. \:D/