Rack & PInion Install

ANYTHING TO DO WITH STEERING, FROM STOCK TO RACK AND PINION UPGRADES

icebrrg3rd
I am smitten with my van

Re: Rack & PInion Install

Post by icebrrg3rd »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only welding that I saw of was the brackets that held on the R&P, right? The support with the spherical bearing was mounted in the holes left from the original steering unit, the tie-rods were attached normally, the tubes modified or flared & hose clamped, steering w/ u-joints, was that welded too?

Basically, if I hadn't come across this thread, I'd probably would have looked into it but put it further down on my list of mods. Oh, I haven't looked yet, but what's a ballpark on the cost, parts/material (self-installed)?

Thanks, Andrew
81 Yamaha Maxim XJ650, Black & Green, 64k miles
83 Yamaha Venture 1200cc, White, 74k miles
91 Chevy Astro 2WD, 4.3L, Maroon, 229k miles
00 Dodge Grand Caravan, 3.8L, Blue, 145k miles

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Out of pocket cost could be less than $300.00 if you are good at scrounging parts and can do the fabrication yourself. Only the return line can be clamped. The pressure line has to be a high pressure line with crimped fittings. It's a hybrid of a GM hose and a Ford hose. The best way to accomplish this is to silver solder the pump end of the GM hose onto the Ford hose. The rack end of the Ford hose has a non serviceable 'O' ring. The heat from the soldering would destroy the "O" ring rendering the fitting useless. The spherical ball mount is 1/4 x 2 flat stock. It's very solid as it should be. It mounts to the inside of the frame using two of the power steering box bolts. There is some welding done to make up the steering shaft. That is dependent on available parts. I have used a mix of stock pieces and have never made two alike. It might be easier to use Borgeson u-joints and shaft material but that would add to the expense. The only other welding is the rack mount brackets on the front of the crossmember. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

I looked at the AWD subframe today, and it hit me; There's no crossmember under the engine to mount the rack to.
I'll get some pics of mine when I get the engine off of it. Maybe the rack could mount behind the heavy front member that is ahead of the axle.
I'll get pics, it will be easier. The pumpkin does look like it is small enough to have a straight line from spindle to spindle, tie rod mounts that is.

Topic author
Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Not sure this was mentioned or not earlier but you'll have to shave a little off the top of spindle arm where the tierod end connects, the Voyager tierod bolt was not long enough to run the nut down far enough to install cotter pin. Now this was on dropped spindles,,didn't check the factory clearence before thowing the 65 lbs. of crap in the trash.
Good luck on the install.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

icebrrg3rd
I am smitten with my van

Post by icebrrg3rd »

Thanks for that tidbit, Rebel.

Right now I am currently on the lookout for a '91 TBI V8, so the R&P will be a later mod, but this thread is definitely helpful, and I have saved it. Thanks for the good info & advice.

-Andrew
81 Yamaha Maxim XJ650, Black & Green, 64k miles
83 Yamaha Venture 1200cc, White, 74k miles
91 Chevy Astro 2WD, 4.3L, Maroon, 229k miles
00 Dodge Grand Caravan, 3.8L, Blue, 145k miles

Astro-SS-V8
I get chills without my van.
Location: Chilhowie,Va......I know you've never heard of it...

Post by Astro-SS-V8 »

I am just wondering.......would the r & p from a Caravan be useable......just thinking out loud... :-k :-k :-k
93 Astro cargo .... Newest Aquisition !
95 Safari , on the injured list

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Some things to consider:
1...The rack must be from a vehicle of close to equal weight of an Astro/Safari.
2...It must have a full 6 inches of travel.
3...It must be from a front steer vehicle. Rack mounted in front of axle.

loopie
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by loopie »

What a great mod! First I've heard of it.

Just throwin this out there out of curiousity, and not that there would be any needed clearance on a street van....is there to room to mount the rack higher and have the tierods on top of the spindle rather than under?

Topic author
Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

You may have the room. I'll have to check but something to keep in mind is the tierods need to be on same angle as upper control arms or at least very very close. Another problem is your taper will be wrong on your spindle. In other words,,the tierod end will not fit inside spindle if mounting from the top due to opposite taper of spindle. I'll have to check my notes on my statement concerning the upper control arms but I'm pretty sure of that. Has been some time since I did this mod. Skip will chime in here. He's the detail man on this deal and as far as I know, the first to add R&P to one of our vans.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

356redux
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by 356redux »

I've been reading this thread and going back over it for some time now. So I pm'd Skip and asked for dimensions and such of the brackets. Asked a ton of questions too. Instead of just telling me what I wanted to know Skip was cool enough to come by my shop and show me the setup on his van. Needless to say, this mod has been moved up a lot closer to the top of my list. On another note, Skip was very cool to talk to. He's an old school car guy and from the look of things a pretty whiz bang mechanic too. Thanks Skip, I'm sure we'll be talking more soon. Just been really crazy at work. Please feel free to call on me for anything I can help you with.

1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by 1Gary »

356redux wrote:I've been reading this thread and going back over it for some time now. So I pm'd Skip and asked for dimensions and such of the brackets. Asked a ton of questions too. Instead of just telling me what I wanted to know Skip was cool enough to come by my shop and show me the setup on his van. Needless to say, this mod has been moved up a lot closer to the top of my list. On another note, Skip was very cool to talk to. He's an old school car guy and from the look of things a pretty whiz bang mechanic too. Thanks Skip, I'm sure we'll be talking more soon. Just been really crazy at work. Please feel free to call on me for anything I can help you with.
That Skip is for sure.That R&P on his van has been tested going to balloon fest's all across the US.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Yes sir......that R&P is still there and working perfectly. I've never had a problem and have never had to change a thing since I installed it. Of the several mods I've done to the "Smilie Van" the R&P is the one I like the most.
356redux......thanks. Let me know when you get ready for the R&P. I'll give you all the help you need.

HPbyStan
I sleep in my van

Post by HPbyStan »

I'd forgotten about not leaving closure on this topic till I recommended someone to this thread the other day. The basic problem with my setup other than "pro" install not going well was the wrong R&P. As I went back over this a year or so ago I found the main problem was me. Instead of going an Auto Zone type place that knows what they are selling for my R&P, being the cheep a$$ that I am, I bought mine off of eBay and I still don't know what I bought at that time but it was way out of spec. Apologies all around... Stan
'04 White AWD Astro cargo
'00 Astro / El Camino
'61 BSA Super Rocket
'71 BSA B50 engine in a '67 C25 250 chassis
Impossible is just a degree of difficulty....

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

HPbyStan wrote:I'd forgotten about not leaving closure on this topic till I recommended someone to this thread the other day. The basic problem with my setup other than "pro" install not going well was the wrong R&P. As I went back over this a year or so ago I found the main problem was me. Instead of going an Auto Zone type place that knows what they are selling for my R&P, being the cheep a$$ that I am, I bought mine off of eBay and I still don't know what I bought at that time but it was way out of spec. Apologies all around... Stan
Wow, impressive! I always thought it was strange you had problems when others did not. Glad to see an update on this. Takes great character to make a post like this. :cheers:
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Thank you, Stan. I too had wondered what the whole story was. Sorry yours didn't go well. Done correctly it really is a great mod. I have well over 100K miles on mine and it still works perfectly.