Rack & PInion Install

ANYTHING TO DO WITH STEERING, FROM STOCK TO RACK AND PINION UPGRADES

mtrhead79
I get chills without my van.

Re: Rack & PInion Install

Post by mtrhead79 »

they just bolt in they can come out earlier vans did not have them or the cross member at the front of frame they bolt to
john 79 camaro, 01 safari, 00 astro , 94 caprice wagon lt1, 89 safari gt

Topic author
Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

The rack I have is from a GT. Not sure what the difference would be with the 6 cyl. but must be some because while looking for mine I saw several stating they were for a GT and others for 6's.

Stan, my van is an 89. On the 89 there is a V shaped brace in the middle front of the crossmember pointing forward that I was concerned about. In fact I even asked Skip if he had to remove it to make room. He said he didn't. The brackets that weld to the crossmember are around 3 to 4 inches in depth. I'll get the measurement from front of crossmember to back of rack tomorrow. What you can do after removing all your old steering parts is lay the rack on a floor jack and line it all up where inner tie rods and ends are level and also straight, fore and aft. That should tell you if you have the clearence. One thing to be sure to remember before removing the old steering parts is to get a measurement from center tie rod end to center of other tie rod end. This is what you'll want to duplicate on the rack before trying to center the rack. You won't have rack center centered with crossmember center but centered with each spindle hole where tie rod ends go through. Also be sure to remove the plastic U shaped steering stops inside each end of rack. Just slide boot down and you'll see them inside. Also be sure to turn steering shaft to stop and then back half way to center inner rods and then match the measurement you took of the old steering by adjusting new ends on Mustang rack.
I'll get you the measurements from back of rack to front of crossmember tomorrow and post tomorrow night but that may not be the same as yours. As I mentioned, the brackets hold the rack about 4in. out from front of very bottom edge of crossmember.
If you have any other question just let me know and if I can't answer them, Skip is more than glad to jump in. That is if he's not worn out from all the questions I had. :muhaha:
Last edited by Rebel on Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Stan and others wanting to do this rack and pinion install. I think it may have been 1995 that the vans had a frame change. It included the front crossmember and two fore and aft crush zone pieces. It's my personal opinion that if you are involved in a front end collision those crush zone pieces won't help you. They're so flimsy they couldn't possibly absorb enough energy to make any difference. On my van I removed those pieces. My Safari is a 1996 RWD. It is the van that I experimented with and as far as I know it's the first Astro/Safari van with the rack and pinion conversion. It is still as I installed it and it still works perfectly. Since the first install I have changed some things. I've changed to the Mustang rack and consequently the mounting method has changed. Everything other than that is the same. Larry's conversion is the latest version and I think there are no other changes necessary. This rack and pinion conversion is a lot easier than one would expect. Any questions? Just ask. I'm here to help. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

tbhager94
I sleep in my van

Post by tbhager94 »

both of my 94's have the impact bars 3 bolts and there out .
2000 chev blazer 4x4
If its got tits or wheels, its gonna give you problems!
im sure we all know the #1 junk yard rule if it fits in your pocket its free.

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Thanks, TB. I wasn't sure when the change was made. \:D/

HPbyStan
I sleep in my van

Post by HPbyStan »

Last edited by HPbyStan on Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'04 White AWD Astro cargo
'00 Astro / El Camino
'61 BSA Super Rocket
'71 BSA B50 engine in a '67 C25 250 chassis
Impossible is just a degree of difficulty....

mtrhead79

Post by mtrhead79 »

my 92 cargo has the beams in front
john 79 camaro, 01 safari, 00 astro , 94 caprice wagon lt1, 89 safari gt

betz

Re: Rack & Pinion install

Post by betz »

Any chance this could be done to an AWD?

2005 Astro LS AWD 4" lift

-Mike
2005 Chevy Astro AWD 108,000
4" lift from Overland Vans w/Rancho 5000's
Belltech Rear Anti-Sway bar (mounted on top of axle)
BFG AT KO 255 70 16

Rear Belltech Sway bar
BFG ATs and spots that required trimming to make 'em fit

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

I've not had the opportunity to look at the AWD. So the answer is, I don't know.

betz

Post by betz »

I'm replacing the steering gearbox on my 'stro....but this looks like an even better alternative if it works on an AWD. But, it would have to happen soon if you get the chance to look at one. I imagine that the fron CV shafts are in the way though. Let me know if you find out otherwise in the next day or so.
2005 Chevy Astro AWD 108,000
4" lift from Overland Vans w/Rancho 5000's
Belltech Rear Anti-Sway bar (mounted on top of axle)
BFG AT KO 255 70 16

Rear Belltech Sway bar
BFG ATs and spots that required trimming to make 'em fit

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

I'll make it a point to look.

zook94

Post by zook94 »

If I had to make an educated guess, the AWD answer would be NO, as the pitman arm on an AWD box is bent to clear front end components, and the 2wd pitman arm is flat. Just a guess, though.
http://www.misfitoffroad.com

'93 EXT 2wd 5.0 (for now)

jmoney
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by jmoney »

Hi,

Just following up to see if anyone investigated the R&P installation possibility in an AWD.
I am changing the passenger axle tube and gears in my front diff as well as doing a O.V. lift so thought it may be the best time to dig in and do a rack conversion while everything is apart.
BTW, great thread here! =D>
THANKS

Topic author
Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Think Skip may have touched on that but wasn't sure and was going to check one out if I remember correctly. Myself,,don't have a clue,,sorry.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

HPbyStan
I sleep in my van

Post by HPbyStan »

Last edited by HPbyStan on Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'04 White AWD Astro cargo
'00 Astro / El Camino
'61 BSA Super Rocket
'71 BSA B50 engine in a '67 C25 250 chassis
Impossible is just a degree of difficulty....