Steering wheels

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Topic author
Mr Singh
I finally get the smurf thing

Steering wheels

Post by Mr Singh »

Hi yall

I'm looking for a new steering wheel for my astro..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Tribal-B ... dZViewItem

Fallen in love with this, but i wonder, anyone know where i can get it cheaper?

Am.
1997 2WD Chevy Astro

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Re: Steering wheels

Post by Rebel »

I don't think you'll find that wheel a whole lot cheaper than that.
I'm sure you can handle it but I can just see me getting my shirt sleeve hung up in it.
Nice and way different than most I've seen. Of course we're still dirving around with the brown plastic wheels and the naked lady pic in the turn knob,, whatever that was called,,slips my mind at the moement.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

Rebel wrote:...Of course we're still dirving around with the brown plastic wheels and the naked lady pic in the turn knob,, whatever that was called,,slips my mind at the moement.
Larry, my grandfather had one of those steering wheel knobs on his 58 Chevy and I think it had a photo of the same woman!

Oh, the memories...or is it mammaries? Either way, I'd love to have one on my Astro.
Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.

astronut74
I sleep in my van

Post by astronut74 »

That's a pretty cool wheel, kinda goes with the paint scheme... I don't know where you can find it cheaper though...

Hey Larry, It sounds like you are talking about a suicide knob, or a Brody knob. you can still get them today even with the naked lady on them!
Steve O

94 2WD Astro EXT
179,000 miles and counting
Going from an 8 seater to a 4 seater

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Yea, that's it,,,suicide knob,,,uuummmm wonder how it go that name. For some reason they outlawed them at some point. Don't know why that was either,,seems like the book says you're supposed to drive with both hands and with the suicide knob, everyone drove with one.

That naked lady must be in her 80's now,lol
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

Rebel wrote:Yea, that's it,,,suicide knob,,,uuummmm wonder how it go that name. For some reason they outlawed them at some point. Don't know why that was either,,seems like the book says you're supposed to drive with both hands and with the suicide knob, everyone drove with one.

That naked lady must be in her 80's now,lol
I still drive with one hand, IIRC the reason they were outlawed is due to people impacting them in collisions. Imagine the damage that thing would do in any accident at any speed if your chest hit the steering wheel. Impacts in the right place and your dead right then and there even if it was a minor fender bender with out one. At least I think that's what my dad told me. He drove tow truck for many years while those were still legal so I just took his word on it.
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!