Camping noob needs suggestions / guidance

A place to discuss all activities related to the Great Outdoors & Camping

Topic author
astronut74
I sleep in my van

Camping noob needs suggestions / guidance

Post by astronut74 »

Ok, so I am completely new to camping. The last time I went camping was when I was 11 with our church group. Now I'm 33 and have a 4 year old son, and I think this would be something different we could do. But I'm clueless.. So, what are some camping essentials? Outside of a tent, what are some things needed? What time of year is a good time to go? Here is some background: I live in east central florida, close to the space shuttle launch site. My sister and her family go camping all the time (in a camper) and needs electrical hook ups, but I was kinda hoping to rough it a bit. I'm only thinking overnight trips right now ( as opposed to weekend or longer trips) because my son is so young any longer might be a bit much for him.
Steve O

94 2WD Astro EXT
179,000 miles and counting
Going from an 8 seater to a 4 seater

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Camping noob needs suggestions / guidance

Post by potskie »

fishing gear... food.... extra clothes warm and cold. Camp stove. Tarp for tent repairs. Water. Utensils. Plastic camp dishes. Marshmellows. Roasting sticks. Fire starting utils. First aid kit. Survival kit. Things of that nature.
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

Fire Cakes
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Fire Cakes »

well one thing you will definitely want is air mattresses. Get you up off the ground and makes for a more comfortable sleep. You will need sleeping bags or sheets and blanket what ever is more convenient. A couple of cooler for perishable food and drinks. I found when we were tenting it was easier to store boxed food, pots and pans and all the table service like silverware, cups, plates etc in totes. This way the food and stuff was covered and it made for easy storage. When tenting we used lots of paper and plastic utensils. The pots and pans were just old ones that I had sitting around. Other good items to have are a folding table, propane cook stove and a lantern.

What ever make sure you have fun. This is one of the best things you can do with your son the memories made camping will never be forgotten.

We originally started camping in a tent, went to a pop up and now we have a hybrid. It is so much fun and well worth it.
Gearing up for another great camping season :) Camper is re packed and ready to roll.

The 2012 camping season has begun!!!!!!!!
Camping Trip Count for 2011 - 2
Camping Nights Count for 2011 - 4

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

My suggestion is after you gather up a few of the neccesities , go with your sister & her family once or twice to get the hang of it . this way you can really tell what your going to need when you go out with your son . & if you forget anything she'll be right there to help out .
That & make a list of everything you'll need to bring , start off with clothes & sleeping supplies . then go to food needed & what you'll need to cook it with & eat it on . how to keep it cold or warm , how to store it , before & for leftovers (containers etc.... ) Then you have clean up to think about your dishes & your self , like showers & wash ups . lights or lanterns when it gets dark , its allways good to have a couple flashlights for those late night trips to the potty or maybe even a porta potty .
just use your head , take a few days to think about what your going to do there and what you'll need to do it . MAKE A LIST , it helps , believe me lol
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

BLAZER
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by BLAZER »

Best advice I can give ya...don't ever go camping with Peter \:D/ :muhaha:

Make sure you take an extra tarp if you tent camp, both for under tent and one you can cover with. Nothing more miserable than being in a tent when it wet.

ryanhettenbach
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by ryanhettenbach »

looks like everybody already has the suggestions covered. The list is THE most important item. I've gone camping with friends and they've forgotten a sleeping bag or even socks! I always, always, always make a list and tape it on my front door, then mark stuff off as it gets loaded up in the van.
However, I have a tip thou...
Bring a pack of flushable wet wipes. I've found them to be the "swiss-army paper towel". Great for cleaning up almost anything especially if you got kids...plus you can burn them when you're done.
I have many-a-time taken a "wet wipe" shower in the AM when a hot shower facility isn't available.
1989 Cargo 5spd. Fiberglass Roof.
2002 AWD LS, white

dunedog
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by dunedog »

One Dura-flame firelog cut into smaller pieces[as a starter only] will start damp,wet,or 'southern fresh' oak :prayer: and save alot of swearing :supz:
1999 LS AWD 3" Lift,4.10's,Snowplow,9500lb Ramsey winch

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Heres a great link to check out http://gorp.away.com/gorp/publishers/fo ... mp_kid.htm but if that doesn't suit you just type in CAMPING WITH KIDS in any search bar.

BLAZER
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by BLAZER »

peter wrote: Hate to admit it, but our resident Astroless friend here is right. About the tarp, I mean :yawinkle:
Sorry my little blue friend, but you are WRONG.....remember the red astro Skippy bought from Goose.....still in my backyard :butthead:

A good site for what to pack is also http://www.popupexplorer.com. yeah, it's for popup campers, butt here is a ton of info on camping in general.

9dawgs
I sleep in my van

Post by 9dawgs »

The best advice I can give you about camping in Florida in a tent is DO NOT DO IT IN THE HOTTER MONTHS! It's absolutly miserable trying to sleep when you have sweat dripping off your forehead. Stick to the spring and fall, and sometimes winter and you will do well. Bring bug spray just in case you have a warm spell while you're out in the woods. Those mosquitos just love to chase after you when you're sweating.

As is already mentioned, I'd take a full size air matress. You will need a battery powered airpump too. Coleman makes a great one that can be recharged. Bring a tarp to lay on the ground where you set up your tent, this will prevent moisture from coming up from the ground. Also folding camp chairs are nice when you are sitting around the fire roasting marshmellows.

Unless you plan on catching and cooking your meal, I'd bring some balogna, bread, cheese and mustard or peanut butter. Makes a quick lunch so you can go do the fun stuff. If you drink coffee, be sure to bring something to brew it in. You can pick up a coffee pot at Wal-Mart for cheap that you can heat over the fire. You really don't need a camp stove if you pack right for overnight. Nothing better than a hot cup of coffee on a chilly morning in the great outdoors. Don't forget the hot chocolate mix for the boy. He'll love hanging out with Dad having his morning brew :>)

I could probably go on for pages and pages but I'll stop here. Just don't overpack. Make sure you have a change of clothes, something to sleep in (bag or blanket), food for the meals you plan on eating a way to cook it (if needed), fire starting stuff (matches, fire place wax logs), a tent, flashlights or battery power lanterns to use inside the tent, propane fuel lantern (don't forget the mantels) for night outside, grab all that and put it in a plastic tote and you should be set :>)

Oh, and bring a camera, we like lots of pictures on this site...
Jim<><

'99 Astro 4X2, (RIP) 4" Overland Lift, 31X10.50/15 BF Goodrich AT T/A KO,
Rancho RS5000 shocks, Rockford Fosgate RFX9000, Red Top Optima, K&N Filter

'98 Astro 4X2 (SOLD)

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by T.Low »

Great info so far. You're in for a good time.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is a day pack for each of you. Carry some water (more than you think you'll need), snacks and sandwiches, compass, fire starter, hat, extra pair of Smart Wool socks for each of you, trail map, mini binoculars if you got 'em, and go for a good little hike. Don't think that you have to load the pack, lighter is definitely better.

Take your time, and hike at your son's pace. Let him stop and play here and there . Its not about the miles, its about the things you see and do. It could be a 4 mile loop, it could be 400 yards. Keep one eye on the fun, and the other eye on the trail, the compass, the weather, your watch, the surroundings, and the general safety. He'll love it, you'll have a ball, and you'll both sleep well that night.

Most outdoor shops can order topo maps of the area your sister likes to camp in. And local shops near her campsite should be able to tell you which trails may be more child friendly. Outdoor shop people love to talk trails and hiking.
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

All good suggestions so far. But one thing has been overlooked--be sure and bring cans of Spam!. Nothing says camping like eating Spam out of the can with a plastic fork. So what if the plastic tines of the fork soon break from the abuse, you just turn the fork over and use the handle to slice and dice. It's breakfast, lunch, supper, snacks--anytime. And it's now so easy; there's no more of this opening the can by using the little tool spot welded to the lid. No sir, it's a pull ring now, baby!

Let us now all sing the Monty Python Spam song:
"Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam,
Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam,
Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam,
Lovely Spam!"

Wow, the memories. For a moment there I was camping...
Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.

moboman
I get chills without my van.

Post by moboman »

If you go in winter put your clothes for the next day down by your feet. They will keep your feet warmer and you wont be putting on cold clothes.

Roll up your sleeping bag in the morning, this will keep all the bugs out.

Strip down and put clean clothes on every night in the winter.

Ya in Florida it doesnt get that cold but maybe...

A blanket for the bottom of the tent is always nice in the cold

unzip the vents a little in the tent even when its cold, this lets air come in for you to breathe. In the winter this is a must.

If your worried about bears, dont bring deodorant, anything that smells, etc.

Camp suds for dish soap, the green stuff. A bottle lasts forever because you only need a drop or two for all your dishes.

Dont let the wife pack!! <-- this is a must!!!!!!!!!

bring tarps to cover stuff up with. Dinning canopy is always nice.

There's more stuff, that I learned in scouts, but it has been a while since I went camping.

Moreforles
I sleep in my van

Post by Moreforles »

extra cigarette lighter, small propane or charcoal grill?, you can cook over camp fire, but easier on grill. paper plates (easy to clean up, just toss them into the campfire) but don't throw plastic cups, silverware (plasticware) or styrofoam cups or plates in.

while they do burn, the put out chemicals that no one needs to breath...

Good folding chairs, (couple extra if possible, someone always forgets theirs and has their but in your chair when you get up..... Put your name on them as they do tend to walk away on their own, even when camping with friends and family....

a bag of lint from your drier is great for starting fires (at least I've been told that)

extra tarps or at least some plastic sheeting, and rope to make a semi dry seating area if it starts raining, extra tent stakes, hammer to drive them in with,

small hand saw or axe for gathering firewood.... and if you have room, bring some firewood too, sometimes its scarce as everyone else likes a fire too...

for a 4 year old, you might make or buy something to put bugs in.... grass hoppers, fireflies, butterflies - when my son was that age, we made one using, window screen material and some plastic coolade containers, poked holes threw containers and used a needle and thread to attach one end of screeen and left the other loose so that he could remove it to put bugs, leaves, grass.. into it... kept him occupied...
2000 Astro, passenger van. Converted into a cargo van, used for Carpet cleaning (10 lbs of crap, in a 5 lb bag)

Moreforles
I sleep in my van

Post by Moreforles »

almost forgot the two most important things....... (four actually)

Cooler full of pop (pepsi for me or iced tea) freeze a couple 2 liter bottles about 3/4 of the way full of water, bigger blocks of ice will last longer than small pieces in bags of ice you buy or from icemaker in freezer

A couple gallons of water, milk jugs, ice tea jugs? for drinking or clean ups

Extra dry clothes.... and towels

bug spray, bug spray, bug spray
2000 Astro, passenger van. Converted into a cargo van, used for Carpet cleaning (10 lbs of crap, in a 5 lb bag)