5 sp conversion pics; hanging the pedal

ANYTHING RELATED TO MANUAL OR AUTO TRANSMISSIONS GOES HERE.

Topic author
boxdin
I am merely driving my van

5 sp conversion pics; hanging the pedal

Post by boxdin »

Image[/img]

Topic author
boxdin

Re: 5 sp conversion pics; hanging the pedal

Post by boxdin »

These pics are from an 1989 Astro that came factory equip w a 5sp. The holes you see in the 'saddle' are what you need to duplicate. Both left and right have a "shoulder' that the pedal shaft rides in. I was going to put in a brass sleve for example to duplicate this.
Rick

SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

Great photos, Rick. I'm a bit surprised that the clutch pedal isn't 'nested' inside the brake pedal mount, like I've seen on full sized GM cars.
Now I have to run out and see what it looks like under the dash of my 89. It's an automatic and I'll be surprised if it's got a place to hang a clutch pedal. Would be nice, though as I think a TREMEC TKO manual transmission would be a nice add to my van.
Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.

Topic author
boxdin

Post by boxdin »

Your 1989 should have the required holes already. Its the 90 and up that do not have the holes and need to be drilled. You can probably see this area just by getting your head under the steering column and looking up w a good light. I think even w the column in place you can still see these holes.
Rick

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

My 1989 didn't have the holes. I was going to do the swap, but it looks like I'm going 4x4 instead...

Topic author
boxdin

Post by boxdin »

Here's pics of the pedal itself and the trans too.

Topic author
boxdin

Post by boxdin »

I thought I could use that punch set in the box to punch through but it is not made to go through two layers. One layer of 18 guage max is all that will do.

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

Use some anti seize on the drive stud, and it should be able to punch through. I'm not sure about the Harbor Frieght ones, but I've punched some tough, thick metal (even multi layers) with Greenlee slug-busters. The hydraulic ones are killer. I had a 1/2"-4" set once, but it was liberated. :-({|=

SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

Rick, what's the offset measurement on the shift linkage adapter? There must have been a cover on the linkage, right?
Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.

Topic author
boxdin

Post by boxdin »

Yes there is a plastic cover and its in good shape. These pics were taken last summer and then the parts were put away in my shed and are now buried behind lots of other stuff. Sorry I can't get the measurment for you.

SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

That's okay, Rick, I was just curious. Whenever you get the chance it would be nice.
Rob Shaver

Topic author
boxdin

Post by boxdin »

Here you go SafariRob I know you can't see it, but the offset looks to be exactly 8 inches.

Image[/img]

SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

Thanks, Rick, 8 inches is what I needed to know.
I've got a lead on a Borg Warner T5 transmission from a V8 and am seriously considering it for my Astro. The small details like the shift lever offset are certainly good to know when it comes time to make the linkage.
Rob Shaver

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

You go Rob boy.

Did ya have the holes Rob ?
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

I think that the offset is only to keep the area between the seats more open for passing to the rear. I also think that the offset shift is too close to the seat, and awkward. 1st and 2nd gear were almost against the seat, and 2nd, 4th, and reverse were kind of far back.

The transfer case shifter in my 4x4 van is in the stock 5 speed shifter hole. That works OK, since I don't shift it all that much. If I were to put in a 5 speed, I would not worry about the offset.

S-10 transmissions have the shifter centered and forward a bit. Mustang (and maybe F-body???) shifters are way back, like behind the seat. I think a T56 is the same. They are all internal rail, no linkage.

If you decide to go with a T5, you know I've got a complete set up I'll part with. I gave up since I couldn't find a decent V8 trans or the parts from one needed to make it all work. New ones are out of the question, they're no longer in production. My trans is good, but with the v6 gears, it would be a time bomb behind a V8.