Xephius's Custom Dash

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Topic author
Xephius
I get chills without my van.

Xephius's Custom Dash

Post by Xephius »

Yo,

While I am building an LT1 for the van, I have some time to get some the ascetics up to speed. To that end, I am tearing out my dash and old sub enclosure/center console. My plan is to build a new dash, with custom gauges and center console that flows into the rear. I plan to build in a Hurst style shifter, modify the stock A/C controls to fit, build in a larger sub enclosure and port some ducts to the rear where a video screen will be mounted.
Tonight I ripped out the old dash. It was a real PITA. Once it was out, I realized building a new dash out of sheet metal would be much easier than I originally thought. Over the next week or so I will design and start to build the new dash. If anyone has gone done this and has suggestions or pics of what they have done, please post them up!
Here are the photo's of my dash jacking...

-=John=-
Attachments
Before the removal process.
Before the removal process.
About an hour later....
About an hour later....
From the other side.
From the other side.
-=John=-
1995 Chevy Panel Wagon - Stillen Body Kit, 3" Drop, Rear Sway Bar, Billet Grille, 18" Wheels with Yokohama Wrappers. LT1- .060 Hyper Pistons, Blueprinted and balanced, all ARP, LT4 Hot Cam, 1.6:1 SS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Elderbrock Headers, PCM Tuned with LT4 Knock Module, Aeromotive AFPR, 2800 Stall, Hardened 4L60E, Posi 3.72:1 Diff
Getting:
100HP Shot Zex Wet Nitrous Kit.... Why? If you have to ask, you won't understand....

WVKayaker
I sleep in my van

Re: Xephius's Custom Dash

Post by WVKayaker »

You're a brave man! Good luck! Awesome Project.
1999 AWD Astro purchased January 2007
2" Overland Vans Lift Kit, Add-a-Leaf, Shackles, Torsion Bars Cranked 1"
AGM Deep Cycle Marine Battery w/Isolator
Helwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar
Auburn Gear Pro Series Limited-Slip Differential
BFG AT KO 235/75/15
Cragar Nomad I Wheels

Dearly Departed 1990 RWD Shorty owned since day one.
Sold Feb 2007 with 193k miles.

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

Hell yeah! :rock:
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

John, I'm really looking forward to watching this thread.
Hardcore Astro Safari--I just love it. :supz:
Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.

meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

Post by meetthespeakers »

So your gonna build the dash out of aluminum? No fiberglass? Is it gonna be boxy, smooth/curved, painted, vinyl, carpeted? Retain stock gauges, vents, etc?

:rolleyes:

I always thought Fat Huh Project was kind of cool, or will be cool when its done. I myself am working on a molded in center console, but nothing that extremem.
1993 Astro, 1973 Austin Mini Clubman Estate, 1980 Trabant, 1961 Morris Minor

bikeboy
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by bikeboy »

Yeh I cannot wait to see this, I have been fooling around with some ideas on how to redo my dash. Going to the parts yard tomorrow and get an old one out for a model. I am thinkingf fiberglass for mine. I am having some issues as to how to get around the doghouse. I have some rough drawings of the dash I think I might like to do will try to copy and get them on here. Gotta get my son to show me how. :supz: :muhaha:

Topic author
Xephius

Post by Xephius »

Hey all,

Well I have decided to use the original dash as a "frame". I will cut around the outside "bolt" holes on the dash, then fabricate a new frame to the shape that I want. Then using wood/metal fabricate the basic holes I need to mount everything in the places I want them. Once I am done with that I will go back in with fiberglass and smooth it all out.

I will be starting on it today, so I should have some plan/drawings/pics of progress. Before I can get into it, I have to go pickup some parts for my LT1, pull out the current custom console and get it ready for Trybe.

Below are the gauges I am thinking of using. I have been completely underwhelmed by the selection of gauges available on the market today. Auto Meter only makes 2 sets that even remotely appeal to me. The MCX and the Pro series. But the both still look a little subdued. I would like to see something more modern or aggressive in design. I think all the digital gauges look straight out of 1983 with the vacuum florescent displays, and the gauges that are pushing the edge by other companies just look cheap. This is all just my opinion, but man I feel like stock gauges suck and the aftermarket is only marginally better. At least the MCX line has some style to them..

https://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ ... _672759_-1

Thoughts?
-=John=-
1995 Chevy Panel Wagon - Stillen Body Kit, 3" Drop, Rear Sway Bar, Billet Grille, 18" Wheels with Yokohama Wrappers. LT1- .060 Hyper Pistons, Blueprinted and balanced, all ARP, LT4 Hot Cam, 1.6:1 SS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Elderbrock Headers, PCM Tuned with LT4 Knock Module, Aeromotive AFPR, 2800 Stall, Hardened 4L60E, Posi 3.72:1 Diff
Getting:
100HP Shot Zex Wet Nitrous Kit.... Why? If you have to ask, you won't understand....

PharmAstrocist
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by PharmAstrocist »

You are a brave, brave man. I'll be watching!

$650 for guages? I give up the title, you're crazier then I am.
Krispy: '90 Astro Cargo Shorty ----------------------Newest Addition: Kremey: Stock '99 Astro LS 8 Passenger, New CD/MP3 w/ 10" Woofer
Lowered
Rimmed
Kitted
Wired for Sound

ImageImageImageImage Krispy&Kremey

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

Some dash pictures that I found in my files......

`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

Hotroder383

Post by Hotroder383 »

I gota say I like that grey carpt one, but I dont like the speakers in front of me like that, would have moved the gauge cluster in front of me and put the speakers in the center con. faceing out myself. Would love to have the time and money to do that some day =)
93 GMC Safari SOLD stilll see her drivein around every so often =/

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

That grey dash was in a "stereo showvan" hence all the speakers upfront and in the doors......
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc