6.5 l swap (now don't get excited!)

GOT THE URGE FOR BLOWING BLACK SMOKE, NEED TOWING POWER, OR JUST WANT GREAT FUEL ECONOMY? POST UP YOUR DIESEL SWAP QUESTIONS HERE.

Topic author
Jinmajay
I sleep in my van

6.5 l swap (now don't get excited!)

Post by Jinmajay »

How far has someone got on researching this swap? Am I right in saying that the factory wiring harness is totally different in the donor vehicle being it is a diesel? How about the bellhousing on the transmission? I'm just thinking out load here.... :-s

I've been building a 355 for my project but I could always sell it.
The Tran man http://jayjensen.shutterfly.com/action/

1994 AWD GMC Safari, V8 truck van project
1998 2WD Astro
1999 AWD Astro

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: 6.5 l swap (now don't get excited!)

Post by ihatemybike »

Here's a good source of data for you.

GM Diesel Truck Engine Swap - Project 6.5L
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

Someone
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Someone »

It should have a 4l80E or a turbo 400 hanging off the back.. so that should be fine, the harness is pretty different under the hood, but the interior stuff is all the same, so maybe you could use the fuse panels from the truck with the interior spliced in... just think of it as a puzzle... to be honest the diesels (especially the 6.2) have way less electronics then the gassers... a 6.2 would run on a stand with a stand alone charging system.... The 6.5 does not look to much more advanced... just EFI
'98 Mercedes E300 Turbo Diesel
'89 4Runner SAS'ed, 38.5SX's, Mercedes OM617 Turbo Diesel
'98 Suburban K2500, Cummins 24Valve, 5spd 4x4
'03 VW Jetta TDI
'78 Vette 350 4spd

www.vehiclefleetsolutions.ca

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by ihatemybike »

And turbo....mmmmmmmmmmmmm turbo =P~
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

Someone
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Someone »

my only concern would be.... would you have room for that turbo (passenger side)....

I guess you could always relocate it.

I would still go with th 4BT as the power is almost the same and since it is a commercial motor it is much easier to service.... and propably about the same price... I would not waste my time with a 6.2, no matter how cheap it is still underpowered and gets no better gas mileage than a 350.

for comparison here is a 6.2... not much bigger than a 350..

'03 VW Jetta TDI
'78 Vette 350 4spd

Topic author
Jinmajay
I sleep in my van

Post by Jinmajay »

If I did make the jump the donor truck would have to be able to receive my good 4.3 in return. Can you see a 3/4 ton with a 4.3?

I have built more diesels than gas burners and I have been tempted many times with using a soot thrower in my project but this thing is taking me way too long to build now. If I switched on the engine now it would set me back a year.

Got my eye on a 94 6.5 with 339,000 miles. Its a 4x4 (1gcek14s5re135010).

I know the electrical/fuel setup on the diesel would be a snap but putting the 4.3 in the truck would be the kicker...

I'm really waiting for someone to tell me to forget it. So someone please tell me to forget it! It won't be my wife. She is really cool with the whole spending time working on the van thing and spending the money smartly. matter of fact, I have the sub-frame in out living room right now with one coat of rust inhibitor applyed. :heart: now that's love...

1998 2WD Astro
1999 AWD Astro

Someone
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Someone »

If the parts truck is in decent shape you may find it easier to make your money back by parting it out... box is worth about $800, rear axle $4-500 and so on... it is not hard to clear a couple thousand parting out a decent chevy...

ford put inline 6cyl and 4.6 V8's in alot of there 3/4 ton vans and some trucks... but I think you would have a hard time selling it....

Not to beat a dead horse but a 4BT equipped step van costs around $2000 by the time you get it home...van comes with an aluminum van body... aluminum is $1.30 a pound here right now.... Propably scrap it for close to the value of the van.... of course you could get a 6.5 from a step van aswell.
'03 VW Jetta TDI
'78 Vette 350 4spd

BLAZER
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by BLAZER »

Seabee here on the site started it, sold him my V8 motor mounts. He ran out of money as he needs a tranny so the project is on hold.

Rockwerx
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Rockwerx »

I had that same project lined up at one point. My donor was a crashed 1 ton 4x4 with the 6.5T. This would have taken me at least a year as it is a master mechanic project. I ended up selling it in parts but I did do lots of measuring to see if it might fit. You will have to do a lot of fabrication work to clear some roomn for the turbo. If you lift the body off of the frame it will help give you more room under the hood. I would go at least 2 inches. If you use a van with the longer front clip it will help you put a thicker rad in to help cool it.

If you are looking for a master fabrication project this is it. In the end you will enjoy loads of torque for towing. I am sure if you wanted to you could turn up the hp and torque with a few more mods. I would build a gasser first and try it out and if you have your heart set on a diesel project you can still build one in your spare time. What ever you do don't rush your project. Enjoy the build up and do it right. You are lucky to have an understanding wife!
1988 V8 Safari Panel
1985 V8 Astro Panel
1990 V8 Astro LT AWD Lifted
1988 V6 Astro Panel
1990 V6 Astro Panel
1991 V6 Safari SLT AWD bad engine knock
19?? V6 Safari SLT for parts

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

Someone wrote:
Umm, I think it needs a couple of more air filter elements in there... :muhaha: :muhaha:
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

Fabricate a new cross over and passenger side header for this project, use weld elbows. Lower the turbo, run the drain into the oil pan if it's a block based drain. Probably have to lose that intake cover and re-do the inlet. These trucks weren't intercooled anyways so I'd want to do the new front end swap and/or relocate the radiator as to allow an aftercooler for the turbocharger. Even something like a stock PSD cooler and some more boost would be a good deal; the GM diesels were anemic to begin with, but only ran 7 PSI boost. a 6.2 would probably do a lot better if it had some sort of fabricated turbo system on it, I can't see it being that hard. I'm wanting to say that they were made for people buying civillian H1s. Besides this, the 6.5L didn't even have the static compression changed on the engine, so I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to mod it for boost. Of course, you'd probably want to have someone play with the pump timing when you added the boost, but that's another story for another day.

Topic author
Jinmajay
I sleep in my van

Post by Jinmajay »

[quote="Rockwerx"]If you are looking for a master fabrication project this is it. quote]

Actually i'm not. I need to keep focused and keep with the original plan.

I do have the new front installed and I have 4" tubes on the subframe and the new Keys for lift so there will be room to work with. This truck is not a daily drive (and won't be) as I have taken every part, nut and bolt and have blasted, primed and painted. I am a bit excessive...

I can see this thing dragging out a few more years if I go diesel.

I am enjoying myself now with the project and I would say I should be able to get the gas engine in this summer and get it mobile. Can't say that with the diesel...

I'm guess I'm going to pass on the 6.5 this time....

Maybe the next Truck I do will be a no body mod, strickly diesel conversion? :-k

1998 2WD Astro
1999 AWD Astro

Someone
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Someone »

mdmead wrote:
Someone wrote:
Umm, I think it needs a couple of more air filter elements in there... :muhaha: :muhaha:
You would not believe how slow this truck is... double air filter, dual exhaust and the fuel pressure cranked up is the only way to get it up a hill (with a load).... It looks stupid and is loud as hell but it works, makes a huge difference in the low end:muhaha:
'03 VW Jetta TDI
'78 Vette 350 4spd

Rockwerx
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Rockwerx »

Jinmajay wrote:
Rockwerx wrote:If you are looking for a master fabrication project this is it. quote]

Actually i'm not. I need to keep focused and keep with the original plan.

I do have the new front installed and I have 4" tubes on the subframe and the new Keys for lift so there will be room to work with. This truck is not a daily drive (and won't be) as I have taken every part, nut and bolt and have blasted, primed and painted. I am a bit excessive...

I can see this thing dragging out a few more years if I go diesel.

I am enjoying myself now with the project and I would say I should be able to get the gas engine in this summer and get it mobile. Can't say that with the diesel...

I'm guess I'm going to pass on the 6.5 this time....

Maybe the next Truck I do will be a no body mod, strickly diesel conversion? :-k
You will have a lot of fun with your lifted AWD V8 project once it is done. Like you said...next truck project. Good luck!
1988 V8 Safari Panel
1985 V8 Astro Panel
1990 V8 Astro LT AWD Lifted
1988 V6 Astro Panel
1990 V6 Astro Panel
1991 V6 Safari SLT AWD bad engine knock
19?? V6 Safari SLT for parts

Topic author
Jinmajay
I sleep in my van

Post by Jinmajay »

Let's see what Kind of conversation this sparks up...

Found a 1994 k2500 for sale with 255K miles, been in a wreck on the rear drivers side and fixed. (VIN 2gcfk29kxr1326362)

Correct me if I'm wrong here, if I take the 350 out my 4.3 should bolt right up and the only thing I will need to do is;

1) fab or buy new motor mounts.
2) swap chips
3) change fuel pumps
4) and all the simple stuff, radiator hoses, fuel hose, intake mod's, exhaust connections. Everything will be done as cheaply as possible on the 4.3 swap into the truck so I might get creative with some of the fitting.

Is this right? My boy will be using the k2500 for a small lawn business and really does not need a 3/4 ton truck. He will be towing a single axle trailer which should be no problem and it will only be around town short trips. Being as he is young, I would prefer he have a V6 instead of a 8. The guy will sell me the truck (everything is working by the way) for 2k but I'm only willing to pay $1500.

I really need all of the accessory bracketing etc. off of the 3/4 ton for my project van. So what is your opinion on this whole plan?

thanks,
j

1998 2WD Astro
1999 AWD Astro