Big Blue Update, Rims, Tires, Drop...

Major projects, rebuilds and overhauls covering multiple areas

Topic author
meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

Re: Big Blue Update, Rims, Tires, Drop...

Post by meetthespeakers »

The rims arrived today, and so did the Volant Intake. I will get pictures up probably tomorrow. I was lucky enough to get them installed today, even though its raining cats and dogs outside, damn not having a garage!

As far as the suspension, I am gonna wait just a little bit on it, I was inspecting the front screws/torsion bars, and it looks like the right side is screwed up, the previous owner installed the block wrong, and the screw is all wacked out. So I need to figure out that first...I would like to lower the front first, and then see how much play I have for the rear. :rolleyes:
1993 Astro, 1973 Austin Mini Clubman Estate, 1980 Trabant, 1961 Morris Minor

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Lookin forward to some pics.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Topic author
meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

Well, I snapped a few teaser pics, it was raining so, this is the best I got so far.

American Racing Torqlites 18x7 w/ 235/50 tires.

Stock ride height

Volant Cold Air Intake

Upclose, all plastic, with rubber couplers, small heat shield

In person it really does look great, night and day difference. I'll see if I can get some better shots tomorrow. Later guys. \:D/

Jersey John
I am smitten with my van

Post by Jersey John »

Lookin good!!! =D>
95 GMC Safari SLX "Mr. Cooper" (as my kids call it)

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

I really like those rims... umm.. you have a pm :D
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

Topic author
meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

-Almost Completed Black Interior
-LED Taillights, VHT Night Shade (Tinted Upper Portion)

Topic author
meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

Quick question for anyone that knows, I noticed this morning that the tires are rubbing where the arrow is, its only on full lock turn, usually turning right. It is rubbing the metal wheelwell in the rear, I can't even stick my finger between the tire and the metal. Should I hammer it out? The tire size is stock, 235/50/18's... Thoughts? After suggestions I took a hammer, and a grinder and ended up trimming a little of the plastic inside the wheelwell and metal pinch weld next to it... No rubbing in 3 days so far.

Last edited by meetthespeakers on Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Yeah you can take a hammer and make some room. Sometimes a sawazll or grinder will clearance it for you as well.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Jboy2
I sleep in my van

Post by Jboy2 »

Great Progress :)
Lookin Forward to more progress.
1991 Chevy Astro Extended- Stock 4.3

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Post by GnarliSafari »

can you pivot your intake? mine sits on the other side the only thing below it is the plastic above the fan, it does not interfer with the master cylinder like yours appears to. might make it nicer on yourself during any repairs under the hood. if i had a camera id snap some photos but its completely opposite of yours.
99 SLT Safari AWD, G80/GT4 rear, Burgundy, 196,000 and counting (strictly AMSOIL) flowmaster 40series muffler no more cat, K&N Kone Filter, roll pan, 255/60/15 rubbers mounted to 15x8.5 inch American Racing Tailgunner wheels, billet grille, CB Radio, Alpine Deck, Shag carpet, the list goes on....
03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LB7 Duramax Diesel, 5 speed Allison Tranny, Crew Cab Long Bed, no muffler or cat, 4 inch turbo back and side piped. not too many other mods yet, also addicted to AMSOIL.

Astro-SS-V8
I get chills without my van.
Location: Chilhowie,Va......I know you've never heard of it...

Post by Astro-SS-V8 »

I am wondering if the Va S P have given you any greif over the tinted lenses....I know on this side of Va.............they would love those...ie'....easy violations for them to write.

I recently purchased a 95 AWD with a rough running engine...which I have found 2 bad valves and in the process of getting them repaired...

Are you having any problems with tire clearances...I purchased new wheels for mine 18 x 9 Boss Motorsports 304's.....I have about 1 1/2 inches between the inner rim lip and the rear spring.What did you do to lower the front of your awd?
Attachments
aew-3042-2828_w.jpg
93 Astro cargo .... Newest Aquisition !
95 Safari , on the injured list

Topic author
meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

I have never had an issue with the tinted taillights. If I remember correctly I did 3 coats of vht nightshade. I also am not running a front license plate. I've had this stuff on now since last summer... Now when I had my mustang it was a different story, I got pulled over for the same crap 6 times once in a week, after that I gave up and just tried keeping everything legal. On the van though however I just don't thing they pay attention to the big blue.

As far as the wheels, I have a feeling your going to have a little trouble with them, but it shouldn't be that bad. I had to trim the wheelwell plastic on the bottom where the door meets the arch (the little plasic bolt on piece). I just took a angle grinder to it and cut a little out.

To lower the front I just turned down the bolts on the torsion bars. Instant front drop.