RamJet 350 Swap

SWAPPING IN A 305, 350 OR ANY OTHER SMALL BLOCK, POST THEM HERE.

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: RamJet 350 Swap

Post by peter »

Very nice! Glad to read that you still have the van and run it. It'd been a coupla yrs since you last posted on this swap.

Tip; I had the exact same set-up on my Ramjet 502 and used a Flex-A-Lite twin fan set-up as well. Rather than stick the probe between the fins, I simply removed a plug from one of the heads and adapted it for use with the 1/4" diam. thermal probe which connected to my Flex-A-Lite electronic controller. This controller is amazing in that it will soft-start the fans and spool up fan speed based on temps. As well, if the controller receives a 12v signal which indicates that the a/c compressor is on, it sends both fans into top-speed.

You're right about what the flaps are supposed to do, had 'em on my Flex-A-Lite as well. I suppose if the upside-down set-up isn't affecting you, it's ok to ignore it. But if you're ever stuck in Arizona in traffic in a heat wave and the engine temps start to climb, you'll know what to do :smurf:
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
delsafari
I am smitten with my van

Post by delsafari »

Thanks Peter. Your electronic controller sounds great. I should have paid more attention to one of your earlier posts. Maybe I would like to upgrade. I will check if SPAL has one available for this fan. If not, do you suppose I could use a different brand - like your Flex-A-Lite?
delsafari

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

Absolutely. The controller couldn't care less which brand motors it controls, as long as the amperage rating of those motors is within the capacity of the controller.

http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html/el ... ories.html

The set-up I ran.... http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html/27 ... ctric.html
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
delsafari
I am smitten with my van

Post by delsafari »

Nice. It's what I should have done. I'll look into the controller. And I'm curious to see if the Flex-A-Lite fan would fit in mine as well. Really high cfm rating. It would be nice to have the complete system, installed right side up, with all the features. I hate doing things twice, not to mention three times if I include the flex fan. Frustrating and expensive.

Thanks a lot.
delsafari