IRS Removed Again

ANYTHING TO DO WITH MAKING YOUR VAN MOVE EXCEPT FOR THE ENGINE ITSELF.

Topic author
Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

IRS Removed Again

Post by Rebel »

Here's a shot that I used a laser level to get my measurement on how far the rear had to be moved to the left so dif. would be centered. May not be enough light but you can get an idea of how far it was off which was 2 1/4 in.
Here's another with the IRS bracket removed showing the offset on right side. This was done to clear gas tank but after installing the S-10 tank there is more than enough room for driveshaft. With IRS centered, all I'll need are two spacer/adapters 4.75 to 5/5 and 1 3/4 thick to locate my AR Atlas wheels in correct location in wheel well.

Maybe this will all be over soon.

That yellow wire is to the gas gauge sender that I had to install when I changes out my factory gauges. None of this is totally complete by the way.
Last edited by Rebel on Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

trybe13
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by trybe13 »

Hope that light at the end of the tunnel isn't an oncoming train!! #-o Just kidding Larry! Hope to hear about you tooling around town in it soon!!
90 Safari XT Hi Top
Lead guitarist for The Jericho Effect
Click the link to bang that head! http://www.ilike.com/artist/Trybe13

SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

Larry, I am blown away by the magnitude of the job you are doing.
Swapping in a small block V8 is nothing more than tightening bolts by comparison.
=D>
Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

I'm sure this'll work out for the better, Larry. I can just imagine how much it musta pained you to take everything apart when you were so close to finishing. But it was a wise choice. I'm sure the spring rates, total travel specs etc.. would have been all screwy if you'd kept the diff where it was. Takes alot more courage to disassemble now than to have stuck your head in the sand and pretended not to see the potential problems (which no one else saw right off the bat either, I might add!)
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Hey Rob,,it's blowing me away also. I can't wait for this to be over.
Headed to machine shop now.
Peter,,you're right,,will be much better and will make some since. The offcenter deal just wasn't the way to go at all.
Anyway,,live and learn,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I guess.

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Hey Larry, how about some info on the S-10 tank swap? Like tank capacity, tank size, how much room it cleared up, etc. I am thinking that may be a way that a rear triangulated 4 link coilover suspension might fit. =P~
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

I'll get ya some info. on the tank tomorrow and let ya know. Easy swap,,can even use one of the Astro straps ( rear one ).
Think I have a pic with the Astro tank and one with the S-10 showing how much room after S-10 swap.
Will get ya more info and update tomorrow.

Topic author
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Ok,,sorry,,little late getting back with ya.
The dims. on the S-10 tank are 11in. wide x 12in. deep and 25 in. long.
I'll try to get a few pics to give ya a better idea of the room it takes.

Here are a few pics showing location of S-10 P/U gas tank in 89 Astro. Maybe by looking at what's located around tank you can compare to yours and get a general idea as to how much room is cleared up.
Hope this helps ya out.
None of this is complete by the way. Still need to re-run gas gauge sender wire and install other tank strap.

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Thanks for the info Larry. =D>
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Got the upper shock mount bar welded up today and looks ok. Still have another piece that will be welded in the middle of this that runs down to top of dif. and is bolted there for dif. front support and to maintain pinion angle.
Machine shop still having trouble lining up front and rear holes on carrier bracket so made him a template from a 2x4 with holes drilled out in correct location . Will pick that up Monday and moving Tuesday so looks like Astro will be in the garage untill I get back up here to put it all back together. If I just had one more day,,she'd be on the road.
Here are a few pics of the upper shock mount bar.

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

Lookin' good, Larry. So big deal, you pick up the truck next time you're down. We sometimes stress ourselves for the dumbest reasons (with myself being the grand master, of course).
I wish you lived in the same town as I. I woulda helped you weld that sucker up and fab the plates etc... It woulda been great. How sad that you picked the "wrong side of town" :D
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Would of been good Peter, living in the same town down south but I'm afraid I'd of worried the crap out of ya over this deal. Would have been fun doing so though.

SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

Larry, I still can't get over how rust-free the undercarriage of your van is, and it's an 89, just like mine.
Must be nice!

Hmmm, maybe I should slide down your way to find my next Astro.
Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.

Topic author
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

By all means Rob. Welcome here anytime.
It is nice to have a rust free vehicle, so whenever you're in the market for another, just let me know.

Someone
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Someone »

lookin good, the coil overs are a good idea as to help out the vette spring that is rated for a lighter car... she will be on the road before you know it =D>
'98 Mercedes E300 Turbo Diesel
'89 4Runner SAS'ed, 38.5SX's, Mercedes OM617 Turbo Diesel
'98 Suburban K2500, Cummins 24Valve, 5spd 4x4
'03 VW Jetta TDI
'78 Vette 350 4spd

www.vehiclefleetsolutions.ca