Tips on Changing Spark Plugs & Wires

General technical discussion and troubleshooting

Topic author
Tobaloba
I am merely driving my van

Tips on Changing Spark Plugs & Wires

Post by Tobaloba »

First I want to say what a relief it is to have come across your site. The people here are rather devoted. Not many people have Astros or Safaris, so it's been a bit difficult getting tips on things. I finally got the courage to change the spark plugs and wires. Spent the last 4.5 hours taking the engine cover out. Also took out the front, passenger seat to make it easier to take out the engine cover and perform the maintenance.

Well, there really isn't a lot of room to get to the plugs from inside the vehicle. Nor have I found much room underneather the vehicle. Facing the engine compartment and counting from the plug furthest away, counting towards me, the plug order is 315 on the left and 246 on the right. I've only tried working on the right side (246) and have found #6 to be the easiest to get to, so I thought I'd start there. I can't get the thing to budge, so I came in to the computer to see if there are any special tools that can make this job a lot easier.

I have found a tool I can see as being helpful with removing the wire caps from the plugs. It looks similar to a screwdriver with what appears to be have a hook-shaped end with the goal being to gently apply a good amount of force to the boot enabling one to remove it. I wondered if any of you might offer some tips regarding special tools or techniques that will help me complete this job most intelligently. You know the old saying, work smarter, not harder.

Once again, I sincerely appreciate and am thankful for your existence.

Toby
1999 Astro

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Re: Tips on Changing Spark Plugs & Wires

Post by SoCalli V8 »

We are a little more than devoted......> diehard would be a better description.

Jack your van up from the front and change your plugs from under the wheel arches......
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by ihatemybike »

I have my 4th and 5th vans right now, so it's kinda a cult for me. You are now, "One of us, one of us, one of us." Anyway you're going to very glad you found us, even Peter. :smurf: We'll teach you how to get the engine cover off in less than 5 minutes, without removing seats. We'll also teach you that the best way to change the spark plugs is to put the front of the van on jack stands, remove the front wheels, remove the front wheel well linings, and reach your socket on an extension to the plug.

I'll be doing this soon on both my vans and will be video taping for a project I'm working on.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

wagonmaster
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by wagonmaster »

the plug order is 315 on the left and 246 on the right
Tobaloba,
I think you mean 1-3-5 on the left...not 3-1-5..
Thanks for the info.
Joe

Freedom isn't Free!
My cars/trucks and bikes on http://www.picturetrail.com/wagonmaster55

LaGrasta
I sleep in my van

Post by LaGrasta »

Either jack up the front end allowing the wheels to dangle or install a lift kit from OverlandVans.com like most of us and just reach in the wheel wells and have at it. O:)

Nice to have you join us.
1998 Astro, 246,000 miles

K&N air filter
TruCool trans cooler
2" Overland lift & 15" BFG Terrain, 3.73 gears
JET Performance SCU-2000 (Speed Control Unit)
Gabriel Ultra shocks, rear AirLift bags & sway bar
Draw-Tite Dual Port Hitch System, hitch-mounted bike rack (4), hitch-mounted cargo tray, Thule roof-mounted cargo box

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

If you do a 2" body lift up front, you can change all 6 (or 8) plugs right front the wheel wells. Otherwise it is a combination of doing the passenger side through the wheel well and the front 2 plugs on the driver side through the wheel well and the back driver side from under the van.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

Changed the plugs on Green yesterday. Um, I think they were original. Many pics to come.
Aaron

1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

if your new wires didn't come with dielectric grease in the boots, I suggest getting some. It'll make removing the wires much easier in the future. Nothing worse than a spark plug boot that has welded itself to the plug.
You'll get to where you can get the engine cover off in seconds. shove both seats all the way back. with a little strategic positioning as you pull it out, you can get it out without having to remove the seats.
Welcome to the site.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

blk lt awd
I sleep in my van

Post by blk lt awd »

i did mind the traditional way....just get a flex socket extension....worked like a charm. and welcome.
1995 Black LT AWD
2000 Ninja ZX-6R
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege (spicy)
1961 Impala...gone but not forgotten.

http://www.propertystation.ca/

Topic author
Tobaloba

Post by Tobaloba »

Thanks for the tips. I'm amazed and thankful for how many there were! :prayer: I'm almost done (just #5). Saved the worst for last. I'm hoping to finish tonight.

Toby

1999 Astro V6

ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

Once you know where to stick your arm #5 is actually quite easy.
Aaron

Water Boy
I sleep in my van

Post by Water Boy »

ihatemybike wrote:Once you know where to stick your arm #5 is actually quite easy.
I think you better post a pic right away before Petey gives us his "visual"......
I was told getting my beauty sleep was a waste of time.

1990 Astro (Z motor) mostly original @ 343,584 miles (552,944.8488960001 Canadian) (03/2008). Bad startup puff. Starting to spray for skeeters. Gone 06/07/08.
1993 Astro with a bad W motor. Parked next to a chicken coop in Talking Rock GA
I'm 'tween Canton and Holly Springs (North NorthWest of Atlanta GA)
I haul bottled water everyday- between 500 and 2500 pounds (226.796185 and 1,133.980925 Canadian) INSIDE the van.

ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

I hope to have my spark plug change pics up tonight. #5 is the only one that I couldn't get a shot of the the plugs location, so I shot a pic of my socket extension to give the general idea of where you need to be.
Aaron

Topic author
Tobaloba

Post by Tobaloba »

So I stayed up until 2:00 finishing this job - plugs, wires, distr. cap, rotor - and my van's chugging. So here's my troubleshooting plan for now:

1. Confirm wires inserted over correct plugs. Primary concern is on the driver's side. Plugs are 1-3-5, but dist. cap (front to back) is 3-5-1. Make sure I got this right.
2. Confirm wires on tight at distr. cap and plugs; restart
3. Pull plugs and confirm correct capping (0.060)
4. Reinstall old distr. cap and review condition of rotor after installation. Will consider whether I may have overtightened the new one and cracked it slighty. I got the first screw on there tighter than I wanted, but loosened it. Felt that the color of gray may have slightly lightened (and I mean ever so slightly), but didn't hear a crack and don't see one.

I'll check back. Thanks.

ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

Green's new cap and rotor are due to be delivered tomorrow. I think I need to worry about a sticky poppet though.
Aaron